Friday, November 23, 2007

"It's like Butta!"


We were planning on being non-traditional and spending Thanksgiving this year at the "Happiest place on earth,"

Disneyland.


We were planning for this until (WHILE planning) we talked to a Disney Representative who said,

"I don't want to discourage you or anything, but I just want you to be aware: you may just want to plan your trip on another weekend. For some reason EVERYONE thinks that NOBODY will be here on Thanksgiving and Christmas, so our park sees about a 25% increase in population volume on those weekends. Just so you know."

How non-traditional.

Well, alrighty then.....
I guess we will be planning on going another time.

(Boo.)

So, after considering a hundred OTHER non-traditional things we could be doing on Turkey Day, we decided (at the last minute) to be original and just have dinner and watch football. I DO have to admit, however, that it ended up being filled with firsts:
Our house wasn't packed with friends and family, I didn't start preparing food on Wednesday, the pecans on top of our casserole were fresh from a local orchard (I know because I shelled them myself), and the sage sausage in our "Cornbread, Apple, and Cranberry Dressing" was walking around oinking a week ago. (We live on a farm now, remember?)

Oh, one more thing:
Instead of cooking a turkey, I made Glazed Cornish Game Hens.

How VERY non-traditional.

As I whipped up fresh Honey Butter, I thought back to last week when I asked Hayden if he wanted a little brother or a little sister.

Hayden: "I want a little sister."

Me: "Good, and what should her name be?"

"Hmmm..." He paused and thought intently. After a moment of silence while staring at each other he replied, "Butter!"

Me: "You want your little sister's name to be Butter?"

Hayden: "Yes."

Butter Brannon (hmmm.)

In our family, we try to "shake things up" a bit by being non-traditional on occasion, but naming a baby BUTTER may just be a little out of our comfort zone.

Besides, it seems that everyone ELSE is trying to come up with wacky names for kids these days. With everyone now going to Disneyland on Thanksgiving and naming their kids names like "Apple," maybe using the traditional, normal (Brannon family) name "Aida" would actually be a little more non-traditional. (huh?)

(By the way: if we have a little girl join our family, her name IS going to be Aida. And, no, I am NOT pregnant yet.)

3 comments:

Annie M. said...

I was just going to ask you if you were prego! Yay for trying!!!

Anonymous said...

Funny, we are pregnant and will soon find out if it a girl, if so we are actually naming her Aida or Ada..spelling unsure of as of yet. Family name...funny reading your post tonight.

XYZinn said...

Hayden and Aida! Cute. I can't wait for you to get pregnant!