Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Hayden: On the way to Homer, Alaska.

I feel as though I have accomplished something grand.....
Despite the fact that I have STARTED many-a-knitting-project, I am happy to announce that I have actually FINISHED the largest project of all:


A 36" x 48" Baby blanket!

Oh, yes!
You see, I haven't found any blankets in the store that compliment my nursery decor the way I had hoped. This is quite a task when the main baby room decorating rule this time is:


NO pink allowed!
(in the DECOR, anyway...clothes and blankets are okay.)

Picture it, though: Soft butter yellow, rich chocolate brown, crisp pure white and textured green gingham.....doesn't that sound like a dreamy nursery?

Disappointed with this season's selection, I set-out to create my own masterpiece. Oh boy, what an ordeal. I've realized that knitting stresses me out, when I've been TOLD it's supposed to be therapeutic.

Whatever.

I struggled and strained. I stayed up until the wee-hours of the morning. I disappeared from off the face of the earth. BUT, I am now able to say that "I have finished it!"

There was one loss, though (as expected with most of my crafty projects):
I lost the little rubber thingie that goes on the tip of my knitting needle. Do you know what I'm talking about? The tiny piece that is supposed to keep your project on the needle when it isn't in your hands. That way if smaller hands find the project you've been slaving over, then they won't be able to slip the needle out and drag the yarn all over the room.

Of course, Hayden has always been fascinated with this little green piece of rubber: He thinks it looks like a rocket ship. In fact, he has become more interested in playing with the rocket ship than the light-saber-esque kitting needle. (*sigh of relief*) Since I have finished the blanket, though, the rocket ship has been M.I.A.

...Until yesterday.
When Hayden ran to me as I was folding laundry.


Hayden: Mommy, mommy! I found your green rocket ship! It was under the couch!

Me: Oh good! (Enthusiastic AND relieved)

Hayden: Well...you know me mom...when you're missing something, I'LL find it for you! (Pointing to himself with one hand and confidently perching his other hand on his hip.)



Question: Does Hayden already realize that not being able to find what I'm looking for is one of my biggest pet-peeves? Oh well, at least now (once again) I can sleep better tonight, knowing that Hayden is watching-out for me.


7 comments:

Brittany said...

that is a HUGE accomplishment! good for you!! i always start cool projects i've always wanted to do... only to gradually slow down until i've stopped dead in my tracks... PS- I ADORE the colors you described! you're crackin me up with the No Pink thing! i'm with ya!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing your blanket! :) I do find knitting theraputic as it got me through my divorce and now my first year of teaching. :) No stress there! :) Good job... I completely understand knitting can be frustrating and I've been known to give my projects a time-out when they're not cooperating.

Kristal said...

Can't wait to see pictures of the blanket and the nursery :D

Hayden is becoming quite the little man, too!

Brittany said...

oh, PPS- it figures that YOU would catch on to the BARF thing!! hahaha i always used to joke around when I was little that if I married someone with an "F" name, I'd be BARF, not thinking of course that that would EVER happen!! right.

Diana said...

Beautiful color scheme! My sister is also a non-pink person with her girls. I'm all for it! I have whole loads of laundry that are pink! :D Three girls will do that to ya! ;) You're a better woman than me... I have absolutely no patience or talent for crocheting. My brain just does not think that way! Now, sit me in front of a sewing machine and that's a horse of a different color! ;)

Dana said...

Does Hayden also ask you if you know where you are going or if you are lost, because Seth NEVER does that (from the back seat) or tell you when you've used a bad word?, because Seth DOES NOT do that at all or reminds you that you just interupted his story that had so many "and uhs" in it? because that NEVER happens with us.

Fullmer Family said...

your blanket sounds amazing! Now, to post a picture of it...Unless it's somewhere on your blog that I couldn't find...Hmmmm. My Young Women had an activity last week, a knitting activity and all I could contribute to it was homemade cookies! I'm very envious of that talent!! :) I love your colors too!