Monday, March 23, 2009

Go Fly a Kite!

Hayden watching as I take the owl kite for a test-flight (to make sure it wasn't TOO windy).



It gets pretty breezy on the farm this time of year...
...which works out since Auntie Barbara gifted Hayden a snazzy owl kite for Christmas.  Yes, that's right an owl kite.  We all think it's pretty cool because when it's up in the air it looks like an owl is hovering above us.  Now I'm wondering what Mr. Peepers thinks of it.

Hayden has been itching to fly it since December, but has been continually disappointed by either treacherous gusty winds (too strong for successful kite-flying) or absolutely no wind at all.

I forgot there were so many factors to consider when planning a good kite flight.

Have no fear: one spring afternoon the kite-flying gods heard Hayden's pleas, the planets lined up and all the conditions cooperated.  We ran outside in a hurry and got busy, savoring the delicate breeze.  Ella snuggled-up to me in her sling while Hayden giggled and sang.


*          *          *


Wind is an important thing to have when you want to fly a kite.....





...Or if you want to actually GO for a flight.






2 comments:

Diana said...

How fun!! I saw kites at Sam's Club and thought they looked like fun. Now, if Spring would just come back instead of a re-run of winter, we could try it! :D

Heather Bower said...

I love to fly kites. I need to get my kids out and fly the kite with them. :) I love to read your blog it reminds me of stuff I need to do with the kids.