Sunday, February 7, 2010

Good Intentions

Baking Sourdough bread, on a rainy Super Bowl Sunday.
(The Bosch was my mom's. I think of her every time it mixes my bread and cookie dough.)

Today is Super Bowl Sunday.
I decided that I was going to make a batch of my homemade Sourdough rolls, take a few pictures of the process, and then share the recipe on the blog.
I started by mixing up the ingredients in the Bosch.
Then, the Bosch kneaded the concoction for 10 full minutes.
And while the dough was rising, I greased the stone baking pans I would be using for the rolls.....
(I was off to a good start)
But then, something happened.
I became so wrapped up in the fun of the process that I forgot to keep taking pictures.
The bread rose.
The bread baked.
The bread cooled.
...and before I knew it, the bread was GONE!
And what do I have to say for myself?
Just that....
It was GOOD!
* * *
Hayden wanted to take some pictures of his own, so I gave him my camera and told him to walk around the house. "Don't just snap silly pictures," I explained. "Go around and take special pictures of things that are interesting to you." Then, I showed him how to auto-focus and just let him go.
Just in case you're wondering, this is what is interesting in our house (to a six-year old):

A tiger puppet laying on the floor...




The control panel for the washing machine...




A close-up on my drinking glass of water...





Me, making sure the dough was rising...



Our aprons and reusable grocery bags...
(I remembered to actually TAKE them to the grocery store with me this week, by the way...Hooray!)


* * *

I guess I could still pass that easy recipe along (even without the pictures)....


Sourdough Rolls

Ingredients:
1 Cup Sourdough Start
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 tsp (or one packet) Yeast (dissolved in 1/4 Cup of warm water)
1/4 Cup Oil
2 Cups Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 egg (room temperature)

Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients in mixer (dough will be sticky) and let rise for 1 hour
2. Add small amount of flour and start to knead on medium speed.
3. Add flour until bread starts to clean the sides of the bowl. Knead for 10 minutes.
4. Shape into rolls and rise until doubled in size.
5. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes
6. Reduce heat to 350 and bake until browned.

1 comment:

Karen M. Peterson said...

You know, I'd have to say that with a little bit of teaching, that kid could become quite an amazing photographer.

And that bread sounds delicious!