
I like Roses.
I also like Daisies and Irises.
...I'll take ANY of them on Mother's Day (or any OTHER day, for that matter).
Look closer at what's in the background, though.
...There's a story about this:
A lot of people don't because they aren't commonly used, but I've wanted this one for over THREE years! Month after month, I would study my Williams-Sonoma catalog and covet this Provence Salt Keeper.
Yet, every time I would get close to actually ordering it I would think of something ELSE I needed to spend money on and felt guilty. I really contemplate my purchases.A few months ago, Ben and I were in a Williams-Sonoma store and I lovingly held this Salt Keeper in my hands. Ben watched me for a while and then piped-up, "You've been watching this thing for years, why don't you just buy it?"
"No," I answered (trying my best to be strong and disciplined), "Not yet; This is a WANT and there are too many other NEEDS right now." I painfully placed it back on the display shelf and quickly walked out of the store.
It wasn't long after that when I decided to just do it. I turned to Ben while we were in the kitchen one evening, "I'm going to give you a Mother's Day gift-hint!" I skipped over to the computer and pulled up the site. Typing "Provence" into the Williams-Sonoma search bar, I tapped the Enter key and all that popped up were napkins. "WHAT?!"
The Provence Salt Keeper was officially DISCONTINUED!
Not only that, it was NO LONGER AVAILABLE online.
(My heart sank.)
I proceeded to check Amazon and eBay religiously for the next couple of weeks.
Nothing.
I was sad.
Mostly because I realized that although as a Mother it is common to consistantly sacrifice your own wants for the wants and needs of other family memebers, it isn't always necessary or good. It was just a silly salt keeper, but it was a representation of me not making a better effort to take care of myself too. I could have afforded to buy this piece of art years ago. The thought of owning this simple beauty frequently brought a smile to my face. My husband even TOLD me to buy it, but I refused to. Ridiculous.
I believe that moms need a little something personal and special once in a while. You know, to feel pretty and beautiful; As a reminder that they are important and not just the maid, the cook, the nurse, the taxi...
Maybe it isn't something to be purchased. Maybe it's a regular pedicure, bubble bath, or 30 minutes of excercise. Or maybe it IS occasionally something out of a catalog. Who knows. It doesn't really matter. What matters is recognizing the need to "fill the tank."
I think it will make us better moms.
* * *
Have I mentioned yet that these Salt Keepers are each hand-painted (and numbered) in Portugal?

So, there I was: desperately searching the internet for ONE Provence Salt Keeper to finally buy (and call my own), but to no avail. SO! How did this Salt Keeper end-up in my kitchen, filled with coarse Kosher Salt? I'll have to save THAT part of the story for another day this week because 1.) I need to go bathe children, and, 2.) I'm tired of typing.
* * *
PS: What do you do for a Mother's Day dinner when the nearest nice restaurant is over an hour and a half away and you're tired of finding an "all-day" baby-sitter?

You throw a couple of Safeway lobster tails in the steamer, broil a bunch of asparagus, and toss a salad. We were very proud of ourselves. Neither one of us had ever prepared lobster before, but were relieved to find out that it is fun and easy. ("Thank you, Google!")
I'm glad we decided to have our special dinner a few days ahead, since Mother's Day weekend ended up being spent with an entire household suffering from a stomach virus. I spent my holiday standing in the driveway of a friend's ranch, locked-out of my car, and covered in baby throw-up. The finale involved me twisting my recently sprained ankle (while trying to cross the dirt driveway in yellow heels) and falling helplessly on the ground. I sat there on my knees in the dirt, unable to cry OR laugh. I would have thrown myself flat on the ground in a desperate act of surrender, but I was wearing a skirt.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
*Now, go do something special for yourself (whether it's Mother's Day or not)!*

5 comments:
Oh, dear sweet Nancy. I can just see you cute as anything oi your yellow heels in the dirt. Great thing is, you got up. You go girl, you are still one of my favorite people!
So I found your blog through my Facebook page (thanks, BenJAMIN)and I must tell you that I really like it. Someday, I'll blog this well. It was very entertaining, and well written! (Not to mention, very informative - It was great to see Ben's Family). And I should introduce myself as one of Ben's oldest (and possibly the flakiest) friends. We were friends in High School (if that tells you how old...). I too live on a farm, love the dirt and the gardening, and am jealous that you now have fruit trees. We have cherry trees and an apple tree that has produced a grand total of 6 apples over the last two years. We're hoping for a better crop this year. If you're interested - check out my blog at andrewloveslindastahr(dot)blogspot. And I love your salt keeper. I'm coveting it. Linda Stahr
Oh, how I LOVE this post! I've missed your writing like this...just wonderful!
Happy late Mother's day! Thank you for meeting us with us last week, it was a great experience, and we appreciated the things you said.
Loved the entire post, Nancy! Miss you Tons, but it is so nice to see you happy and full of joy once more!
(judy)
Post a Comment