
I didn't either, until I moved to a farm. It's actually the best way to buy them (as opposed to getting them from the local feed store). They are less expensive when you get them from a catalog, they usually throw in a few extras, AND they guarantee the chicks just in case you loose a few on the way.
Wanna take a look? Check it out HERE.
When I make MY order, I'm going to get some Guineas too. They are like watchdogs for the chickens. When a predator comes around they start squawking an alarm. They ALSO walk around your yard and eat all the bugs and scorpions. That's the best part.
In a farming community, it's common to talk about your baby chicks and your garden in normal conversation. In other areas I've lived, I'm sure they're saying things like, "Did you hear what Paris Hilton did?" Not here, though. I haven't heard anything about Hollywood in months. Instead, I learned from our Sunday School teacher that every year, he and his wife take their prettiest tomato out of their garden, lay all the seeds out on a paper towel on the kitchen counter, and use THOSE seeds for their next planting of tomatoes. It's like you're very own backyard Hybrid!
I also learned (at church) that duck eggs are the best to use for baking. Maybe I should add a dozen ducks to my catalog order.
It's amazing what you learn at church in a farming town!
No comments:
Post a Comment