Tuesday, May 27, 2008


I've heard many women talk about how pregnancy agrees with them.
They feel fantastic
Their hair is thick,
Their nails are strong,
Their skin is amazing,
and they feel as though they are floating with joy.

I am not one of those women.

Whether that Pituitary is to blame or not, I've found that the worst thing in the world you can do to someone (especially a desperate, dehydrated pregnant woman) is to suggest it is "all in (their) head."

Hearing that every pregnancy is different, I was determined, hopeful, and convinced that this time around would be different, but so far we are just strolling down the same road yet again and right on cue.  Many of you know how sick I was the last time around.  I was promised (by concerned friends and family) that it would get better; somewhere around 12 to 14 weeks.

I waited....

and waited.....

and at 35 weeks, I was still praying to the "ceramic alter" throughout the day.  During delivery, my mother-in-law held a tray so that I could dry-heave in between pushes.  And suddenly, after delivery I was starving again and eating everything put in front of me.  It was wonderful.

Well, there IS one thing that is different this time around:  Prescription meds.

The only relief last time around was in a little blue pill, whose only side-effect was debilitating fatigue.  This was a problem back then since, with a stroke-recovering husband in the house, I was the official bread-winner.  I was SO exhausted that I would literally fall asleep standing up or typing on the computer.

It ended up that I devised a plan out of survival: Take the pill for one day (my day off), drink as much water as possible in order to get re-hydrated (and stay out of the hospital bed), and then gear up once again for another week of extreme and constant nausea.

This time IS different, though...

I'm a WAH mom.  Plus, I still have a wonderful husband who says sweet things, loads the dishwasher, and calls the Doctor on my behalf.  After talking to the doctor's office, he informed me today that by the end of business, there will be a prescription waiting for me at the drug store.  When we get the call, we will go pick it up together (and get an ice cream while we're out).

And so I'm waiting.....
....and waiting....
...and counting my blessings.

Grateful that I have such a great guy in my life.
I love you.





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties through pregnancy but congratulations all the same. :) How blessed that you have such a sweetheart of a husband. :)

Annie M. said...

I wasn't one of "those" ladies either Nancy! I threw up until I was 18 weeks pregnant and then a TON when I was in labor. It was miserable. I can't imagine being sick the whole time like you were though. Did you take Vitamin B6 with Doxylamine Succinate (aka Unisom)? I found that helped my nausia some. You poor, poor, thing. I feel for you!!!!!! I guess the only good thing is that they say it's a good sign of nice, high hormone levels which = a healthy baby.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dana said...

ugh, the things we have to go through. Here is hoping the meds kick in soon and give you some relief.

XYZinn said...

Nancy! Congratulations! I am so happy for you...but I am truly sad you are so sick! I hope the little blue pill helps.

Diana said...

I also did the Unisom, B6 thing and it helped me a lot! I was so, so sick with my girls and not so much with my boy... but with him I got the flu a couple of times, so it all evened out. :P I'm sorry you're feeling so sick! My fingers and toes are crossed that the meds help! ;)

Lots of Love,
Diana

Kristal said...

:( Everyday I see Ben's picture at the top of the page I feel sad because it most likely means you're still not feeling well. I hope you feel better soon!

jessi said...

I am so excited for you!! Sorry your not feeling well. It will pass, just think about all the cute noises, gummy smiles, and warm cuddles. Hope to hear from you soon.

Gage said...

Congrtas on the prgnancy! Soo excited for you, hang in there!