Thursday, May 1, 2008

"To Everything There Is a Season...."

~Photos by Nancy

I've mentioned many times how much I love the Pecan Trees:

The musical sound they make when the wind blows through,
The various shades of green they turn with the seasons,
Their beautifully gnarled trunks and majestic branches,
And the sound of the owls "hooting" from the shade of their leaves.

Did you know:
1. When starting a new pecan grove, you have to order the trees TWO years in advance.
2. After planting the grove, the trees will not start producing for 7 years.
3. They are an expensive thing to farm (cost to start + cost to maintain for 7 years without a crop yield), yet are one of the most profitable once they start producing.
4. When it's time to harvest the pecans, a small tractor-like machine pulls up in front of the tree and an "arm" comes around and grabs the tree truck.  Then, the tree is shaken until all the pecans fall to the ground.

(It's actually pretty funny!)

Can you believe what a difference just 60 days makes for a Grove of Pecans?

The following pictures were taken in the grove across the street from our house.  I stood in the same spot (next to the well), but the pictures were from different angles.


From this....



To this....



Stay tuned for more pictures as the seasons change!



1 comment:

Kristal said...

I love this time of year! Nancy, Your photos are awesome!