Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Fish Tale - Part I

Let's just dive right in with the Alaska fishing stories, shall we?


This was the first time I had the experience of fishing in the ocean, even though everyone I was WITH had done it their whole lives.

We fished out of the famous Homer Spit (which is where Jewel grew up. It is also where some of the crab boats from Discovery Channel's show The Deadliest Catch sit when they are not out at sea). Funny story about that: I found out while we were there that my mother-in-law was childhood friends with "Mo-mo" (the sister of the famous Hildebrand brothers who own the crab boat The Time Bandit).

I feel as though I know another celebrity.

While married to Ben, I have heard countless stories about fishing for Halibut in the ocean bay of Homer. I've especially heard of the monsters: the not-so-uncommon 300-pound fish beasts that fight back and have to be shot before being pulled into the boat. (Not kidding!)

One problem: we forgot to bring the gun!

After arriving at the first "hole" and baiting the hook half-a-dozen times (since the king crab kept munching off the existing bait), I started to get bored. Filled with anticipation and wondering who was going to catch the first fish, I started vigorously bounching my fishing weight up and down on the ocean floor.

And, suddenly...a tug....

Then, a BIG tug....

Then, a down-right wrestling match!



"Oh, boy," I thought, "this one is a BIG one! Perhaps, a monster?" My mind started to race. "What are we going to do without a gun?"


Well, let's let the pictures tell the story:



I was excited and instantly tired, so I called for assistance (Mother-In-Law).




" Make sure you get this on camera!"






I and my MIL both became fatigued trying to wrestle this thing, so WE had to call for back-up (Ben)!




When Ben was tired of wrestling with it, he called in the big guns: "The Wookie" (Dad)!




Me: Do you see it yet?


Ben: I DO see something. It's almost here...here it comes...


It's a......


a......


(confused-sounding pause)



Me: WHAT IS IT?



Ben: It's a HUGE Sting Ray!


Everyone: A WHAT?




Oh yes, that's right. I snagged a Sting Ray.


We didn't even know they HAD those in Alaska!




6 comments:

Dana said...

That really is living the BIG WILD LIFE (new state slogan) adventure.

Impressive catch!

CountryMouse said...

Wow thats really impressive. I have always loved the rays at the aquariums but now when I see them I always think of Steve Irwin. It is beautiful though.

Heather Bower said...

That is awesome. I would have been freaking out. That is so cool.

Kristal said...

You always have the coolest adventures! The color of that water is stunning.

. said...

Dana-I like the new state slogan. I told Ben and he started laughing.

HappyBunny-I was thinking of steve too!

Heather-I was a little worried, since I had never seen one in real-life and didn't know if it was dangerous to get the hook out!

Kristal-The whole STATE is stunning...you should go (especially since your hubby would LOVE it)!

Diana said...

Wow! I mean, what else is there to say? ;) Wow!