Tank
I've heard (more than one dog owner) say that once you own a Boerboel, you never want another breed of dog.
I believe it.
This is Tank. Tank is one of our new farm dogs and Tank is a Boerboel.
In case you're like most Americans who have never heard of such a breed, let me give you some background. The Boerboel comes from Africa. They're actually South African Farm Dogs. They are a part of the Mastiff family (which means they are huge) and were bred with the purpose of protecting the flocks and children from Leopards and Lions.
That's right I said, Leopards and Lions.
To visit the South African Breeders website (which is full of information and links about the Boerboel), just click HERE.
The thing I like the most about them is that they are SO gentle and SO smart. Breeder websites are full of stories sent in by Boerboel owners. For example, the woman who wondered if it was "normal" for her 6-month old dog to keep her two-year old daughter away from the pool. Or the family who's Boerboel refused to leave Grandma alone at the house because he had figured out that she was the weakest member of the group. Even our own friends (we know quite a few who are Boerboel owners) talk about their dogs' intuitiveness and watchful behavior.
Tank used to be a member of (our friends and fellow farmers) the Lloyd family. Unfortunately, when they moved back up to Idaho the dogs were miserable. The family realized that they were Arizona farm dogs, who were happier to have free run of the wide open spaces and chase coyotes. Since we had also known Tank since he was 6 weeks old, they asked us if we would take the dogs. Boerboels aren't supposed to be passed from family to family, but we were almost like family already.
Of course we were okay with it, so a week later the dogs came back.
We immediately started to notice Tank's intuitiveness and protection of "the little ones."
He finally became acquainted with Ella last week when I loaded her into the car for her first Pediatrician appointment. As I strapped her teeny-tiny body into the car seat, I suddenly felt a gentle push against my thigh. I looked down to see Tank's nose and huge head. I stood back to see what he would do.
He stood there motionless as he stared at her for quite a while. Then, he started to sniff....and sniff....and sniff as he stared some more. When I leaned in to tighten the straps around her, he backed-up and stood behind me. After I closed the door to the car, Tank sat outside her door until I pulled out of the driveway.
Since then, Tank has acted like a mother hen toward Ella. When we are outside and she fusses or cries, Tank will come running from across the Headquarters and sit down in front of me, back straight, ears perked and staring at me and Ella.
At night, he sits perched outside our front door and growls at whatever is nearby (and let me tell you: he doesn't bark much but the sounds he makes are CHILLING).
And just a note: Just before Tank showed up the "illegals" were coming to the Headquarters in DROVES. I'm talking about 20-24 in each group. Many were coming to the door at night. Another group came through with huge backpacks (a classic sign of drug-running). I became scared to be at the Headquarters alone, especially at night.
Funny thing, nobody has been through the Headquarters since Tank came to live with us.
4 comments:
Wow!! I'd love to have a dog like that.. he reminds me of a doberman we use to have that had been raised to be a military dog.. he was great for watching out for the kids.
That is so awesome! Hubby won't let me have a dog. :( Actually his argument is that we don't have a huge place for them to run around in, but I think he's just saying that because we don't have a huge place and it makes for a good excuse. :D I'm so glad you have him! And Hello! No Illegals is a GREAT thing! :)
Tank! How cute...I love him already and haven't met him. We always had dobermans and the same can be said about them. Once you have a doberman, you never want another breed.
So glad to hear you are safe at night in your home. I'm not a big pet-person, but if I lived ona farm like yours, I'd want my own Tank for sure!
Post a Comment