Ella at 2 months old.
Ella and I went to the doctor on Friday.
Nothing serious, just the usual shots and check-up....
...or so I thought.
I prepared well, expecting to take a few extra steps since we were anticipating FOUR vaccinations in two needle stabs. Like most parents, "Shot Day" with the Doctor always makes me sad so I made sure I did everything I could do to prepare us both:
Baby Tylenol.........check.
Extra blankie........check.
Baby sling to snuggle in....check.
Mental preparation and "brave face" practice for me....check.
As we sat in the waiting room I watched a new mom bring her three-day old baby in, covered with a blanket shroud. It felt like only a week ago that this was US . I looked at her tiny baby, then back at my sleeping Ella and my heart ached as I remembered how fast the time flies. "She'll probably be starting Kindergarten next month." I thought in a panic. No, wait....I still have some time," I quickly reassured myself.
So far, Ella has gained four pounds and four inches.
During the appointment Ella did her best to charm the doc. She cooed and snuggled with him who, enjoying every second, kept repeating, "She's so beautiful! She's so pretty!" After playing until his time ran out, he conveniently slipped out the door and let the nurse come in to do the dirty work.
I put on the brave face, started to cuddle Ella and whispered in her ear as I anticipated what was coming next for my oblivious baby. Stab #1.....Stab#2.....and...SCREEEEEAM! Ella does this pitiful flutter-cry that has melted me ever since I first heard it seconds after she was born. It's quite dramatic and heart-broken and I can tell you now that it's going to be one of her tools to get what she wants later in life.
I know this already.
As I looked at her face, eyes closed tightly and mouth wide open, I softly talked close to her face and kissed her tiny cheeks.
And then I saw it.
I gasped as I saw a teeny-tiny white spot emerging from her pink gums.
"Is that a tooth?" I frantically asked the nurse who was now applying the band-aids to Ella's thighs. "Isn't that a little early? She's only two months old!"
"It's pretty early but it can happen, I guess," she responded in a slightly puzzled tone. Ella was still crying, so the nurse checked her bottom gum as if she had to see it for herself. "YES!" It IS a tooth!" she exclaimed. She sounded shocked.
I walked out of the room and down the hall. My heart ached again as I realized that this is going even faster than I thought. My thoughts raced, "She doesn't even have HAIR and now she already has a tooth!"
I stopped at the store on the way home and bought some teething toys, baby orajel and more Motrin and Tylenol. I thought I had a couple more months before I would have worry about getting teething toys! Seriously, she's so young that she can't even GRASP them yet.....this is so wrong!
"Maybe I should start putting money away for braces," I moaned to Ella as I carried her back out to the car. (Hmmm, I wonder where Ella gets her dramatics from....any ideas?)
5 comments:
Wow, congrats Ella. My condolences to you though. I know what you mean. Sometimes I wake up in a panic thinking of how soon my boys will be off to the MTC. If the next 7 years go as fast as the first, We will have teenagers before we know it. GASP!
You have the most beautiful pictures of this little baby girl. Just precious.
Adrienne
What a sweetheart! I hate shot days, too! We just did Kindergarten shots (this would be for the third time!) and I had her on my lap with her legs crossed in mine, my arms around hers and she was so nervous that Landon started to cry, so he was smooshed between she and me and I was hugging and trying to talk soothingly all while hating having to do this to them! But then I remember how much MORE horrible it would be if they got sick and died from something I could prevent.
Wow, that is a little early for a tooth, but she must not have been too upset about it or you would have noticed sooner, so that's a blessing! ;) She is so beautiful, Nancy!! I just can't get enough of looking at her!
Hi Nancy, Brendan and Wyatt got their first teeth when they were 4 months, but 2 months old, wow! Good thing, though, it doesn't drag on FOREVER, they get it done and over with quick.
I'm such a dork, I didn't realize you guys were in Wilcox, my grandparents and aunt lived their when I was growing up in Safford. Small world, I haven't been there in ages.
Your family looks awesome! Take care!
Ella is so precious! I'm glad her trip to the doctor wasn't too traumatic. Be proud of that tooth! She's going to be doing things early, like many girls do.
Post a Comment