Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Some Like It HOT!

February 9, 2010
Have you ever noticed that when the house is filled with the aroma of fresh bread baking in the oven, the world just seems to be a better place.
Maybe that's why I like baking bread so much.
...Or maybe it's the fact that I'm switching our family over to a more "organic" way of life and I'm realizing that there is a lot of STUFF in the bread on the shelves at the grocery store.
(By the way: I didn't know the first thing about how to bake bread before we moved to the farm, you know.)
Either way, I decided to make a special batch since I never took any pictures of the bread I made on Super Bowl Sunday.

I think that qualifies as "unfinished business," don't you think?
So, Ella and I made a special batch of Lion House Dinner Rolls (with cheese kneaded into the dough) and decided to take a break for some fun pictures while it was rising and baking....










...Hayden and Word Girl had to problem helping us eat it.







Sprinkled with a little bit of Shredded Cheddar and grated Parmesan Cheese, these turned out pretty irresistable!





I pinched that one in the corner a little too hard...but how can you NOT pinch fresh bread?
(I'm a sucker for "squeezing the charmin" too.)



TIP: When the nearest grocery store is about an hour away, you develop the habit of being more organized with your meal-planning and conservative with trips to town. It's not uncommon (and pretty much a part of the lifestyle) to naturally have about a three-month supply of basic food and necessities on your shelves. These are the 6-gallon food storage buckets that sit in the corner of my kitchen:


Right now, I have buckets of Organic Millet, Rice, Pinto Beans, Flour, Sugar and Whole Wheat Macaroni.
(About a 6-12 month supply of these items-for us-if we ONLY ate out of these buckets.)


These buckets are especially useful and handy since they have screw-on Gamma lids:
TA-DA!

No peeling your fingernails trying to open your buckets in THIS house!
If you would like your OWN buckets, click HERE.
For the Gamma Lids (in a variety of colors), click HERE.








2 comments:

Kristal said...

We have two of those buckets in our kitchen, too, thanks to my mom. They're awesome! And so are you - so domestic as of late :)

Heather Bower said...

Those look so yummy and I love the stoneware they are in also... :0 He, he, he... Where is the recipe I need it. Oh and thanks for the idea on the buckets I've been looking for something like that for a long time. You're the best