
Growing up in central California and being schooled by teachers who graduated from such universities as those that are located in Berkley, I didn't realize that other kids around the country DIDN'T celebrate Hands Across America.
I didn't realize that they DIDN'T have school rallies on Earth Day, talk about recycling in elementary school, and release balloons with messages of peace attached to their strings during school assemblies.
(I'm not joking.)
(*NOTE: Ben grew up in Alaska! With all the marijuana that's grown up there, I'm shocked and surprised that there wasn't more of an influence of Peace, Love, and Rock 'n Roll. Whatever.)
"Psssst, (still) don't tell the guys we celebrated Earth Day....they'll make fun of me again."
Well as a native Californian, I am proud to say that we commemorated Earth Day this year by planting our own family fruit orchard at the Ranch Headquarters.
Now, I'm not into extremes, but I have to admit that I'm a huge fan of the whole "green" idea. I was practicing before it was trendy. When my elementary teachers started teaching us about recycling and vermicomposting I grabbed onto it. I love it!
But for some reason over the years when I have searched for recycling centers in whatever new town I was living in, I was labeled as some sort of an Earth Mother. I've never minded that label, except that it wasn't being suggested as a compliment.
I don't "get it."
I'm glad that being green is becoming trendy and popular. No, I'm not a fan of Al Gore. Yes, I realize that he used computer-generated images of glaciers in his movie and tried to pass it off as reality.
I don't have to be a Vegan to support the idea that we need to be more responsible for ourselves. Whenever you go camping it's a solid UNWRITTEN LAW to leave the place "better than when you found it." So, why aren't we that diligent with the Earth?
You know, with a few simple habits we can have households that produce (almost) no waste.
(...I'm just sayin')
"Psssst, (still) don't tell the guys we celebrated Earth Day....they'll make fun of me again."



No comments:
Post a Comment