
Why is it that (as the mom of the house) I can take care of every other sick family member, but feel extremely guilty when I, myself, get sick? (Even though it isn't that often.)
What IS that?
Ben brought the Flu home after visiting a New Mexico Ranch.
("Thanks, Ben, but I would have rather had a t-shirt.")
It seemed to be knocking me off my feet considerably more than everyone else, so of course I thought I was being a whimp (and continually tried to justify my pain by repeatedly proclaiming, "I'm not being dramatic! I promise I'm not a baby").
Ben insisted I visit the doctor.
But I was trying to be brave, telling myself it would subside within a day or two
(Because that's what moms do.)
I took a few Tylenol PM (the ol' stand by that ALWAYS knocks me out), and I spent the night not only clamy, unable to breathe, and in pain (everywhere), but NOW shaking and weak from the Tylenol.
I gave in and let Ben be my hero again.
He got the kids ready.
He got ME ready (and practically carried me to the car).
He drove me an hour to "town" to visit the doctor.
He took the kids to Micky-D's while I got poked and weighed.
I was actually excited to come back to the car after my appointment.
I was excited to have confirmation for myself AND my family that I was NOT, infact, being dramatic (eventhough they never thought I was in the first place).
I was actually HAPPY to tell everyone that I was a walking Typhoid Mary:
The Flu, Bronchitis, Severe Allergies, AND a nasty Sinus Infection.
"YES!"
(I almost felt as though I had won something.)
...but I guess I was just relieved that I was not (at least THIS time) being whimpy.
Victory!
(that sounds so twisted.)
They gave me a big shot in the "arse" at the office, a prescription for some hefty antibiotics, and the permission to go home and let my family take care of ME.
It was lovely.
("Thanks, family...I love you!")
It was also lovely to take a few minutes last night before sunset and enjoy my son as he "flew" around the ranch Headquarters as Batman.
It was a good reminder:
I don't have to try to be a superhero...I'm human and sometimes I just need to rest.
* * *
Thanks for being my hero, Ben:
By taking care of me,
By making me take care of myself,
For repeatedly taking the kids out of the house so I could nap,
For making me Thai noodles for dinner,
For helping me fold the laundry,
and for knowing what I need
(even when it's just a comforting snuggle).



No comments:
Post a Comment