Friday, May 11, 2007

Ode to Mom



As most of you know, my mom passed away 7 years ago after complications with heart surgery. I feel sorry for those of you who didn't know her because you would have loved her just like everyone else. For those of you who DID know her, I'm sure you will agree with me when I announce that this 100%-Irish-blooded, Brooklyn-born lady was a "totally RAD, rockin' momma". Ya, that's right....I said RAD!

I decided this picture was fitting for our farm website because she is, in fact, pruning a grape vineyard in Central California. (We used to volunteer at this vineyard two times a year: pruning and harvesting). It was dirty, but lots of fun. We kids used to get in trouble for throwing the grapes at each other.

Mother's Day is always a toughy because even as a mother myself, I don't think of myself on that day....I think of MY mom. For many years after her death, I used to DITCH church and either go to the ice rink, or a theme park with big rollercoasters. ("Father...forgive me...") She and I share an obsession for Thrill Rides. This year, I would like to share a couple of my favorite personal stories of my mom.

"Make 'em Laugh"
Mom volunteered every week in my classroom at school for as long as I can remember. The other kids thought she was very cool, especially when she climbed the monkey bars. Speaking of monkey....
One day in Mrs. Cadd's first grade class, she sat at a table in the back of the room. Kids kept turning around to look at her so she started acting like a monkey: making funny faces and scratching her sides. Mrs. Cadd had to ask her to settle down since she was disrupting the rest of the class.


"Feed the Birds"

One winter's day, with a foot of snow laying on the ground outside, my mom, my dad, and I were sitting in the living room. After a long moment of silence, my mom looked out the window and said, "I hope the little birds have something to eat." I looked at my mom and thought, "WHAT did she just say? Who (besides MY mom) THINKS of stuff like that?"

"Let them eat cake ('er PIE)!"
Mom was famous in our little town for her "from scratch" cooking. More specifically: Devilled Eggs and Chocolate Cream Pies. Every time there was a fund raiser, she received a call and was asked to bake pies to be auctioned off. This was in the 80's. It was not uncommon for one of her pies to go for over $200. She would usually go around, afterwards, to all the "bidding losers" and take pie orders because she felt bad that they lost. THAT'S MOM!



"Build A Bridge"

For a couple of weeks before she passed, she had many visits by a Jewish Rabbi in the hospital. He was there frequently to visit other patients (the JEWISH patients). Since mom made friends with everyone, he started visiting her too. After a few friendly discussions about the Old Testament and the "Tribes of..." something er other (Mom was really great with gospel lineage stuff), they became very good friends. I liked the prayers he sang for her in Hebrew...they were peaceful. The day before she passed, the Rabbi took my dad out into the hall.

"I have a confession to make," his voice lowered. "I am in love with your wife!"

They both had a good laugh. Before he walked down the hall and out of our lives forever he said, "She is the most beautiful spirit I have ever met in my life."

Happy Mom's Day.
*Call your mom!! And if you still have the ability to (call her), Cherish it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I linked over here from Cjane today and read about your Mom and I think I love her too! My Mom passed on 3 yrs ago and the universe changed. I agree about the be thankful you can call her. I think of a question I would like to ask my Mom each and every day. You are indeed a great story teller. good luck on the farm