When we talked about potentially moving to The Farm, I wondered how Hayden would react. He loved so many things about his city life that we were leaving behind forever: the school bus, his friends, his room, play groups, storytime at the mall, the zoo....his routine. We knew it would be a difficult culture shock for all of us, but at least we adults understood why and what was most important, right? The values...the experiences...having our family together.
Recently, Ben and I were talking about having a goal for the New Year....a goal to "Simplify". To stop getting distracted by society and all the "noise" we were living in. We had been considering the opportunity to leave the city, and the comforts we were used to, as an adventure....an adventure that scared us to death. But would Hayden miss his friends? His school? Would he be happy? Or, would he be repeatedly asking us for the things we were leaving behind.
Our first trip back up to the old neighborhood worried me as I wondered how it would affect his little mind. "What is he going to think? Is he going to cry when he sees our old house empty? Is he going to ask if the school bus is going to come and take him to school?" (He LOVED preschool!) I worried about a hundred things and how I would help him deal with it.
When we got there it seemed I was the one who needed help dealing with it. "Look, there's the Mall! Oh, I loved this kitchen! I picked out this tile. Remember, Ben? That's where we put the Christmas tree! (Boo Hoo)." I was pathetic.
After a day in the city, he said something and I knew everything was going to be okay. I realized he was even stronger than I was. After a day in crowded stores and backed-up freeways....waiting at every stop light and being caught up (once again) in the "Hustle and Bustle" we heard a little voice in the back seat. A little man sitting in his booster, holding a sippy cup and looking out the window. "Daddy," he said seemingly thoughtful, "let's go back to the Farm."
Maybe he understands, better than I do, what really IS most important.
No comments:
Post a Comment