Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Miss Daisy-Lou


I realize I haven't been keeping up with my writing. I've been running around with my family (as mentioned last time), but I have also been dealing with a little bit of loss. I haven't really felt like writing about it, but I knew I needed to in order to "move on" with the blog.

One of our dogs died. Daisy. She was hit by a car....and I was driving it. I realize this is a farm and that the blog is about the farm. I realize that things like this happen quite frequently in farm life, but it's never happened to me personally, (especially when I was the one at the wheel), so I've been pretty torn-up about it. In order to avoid this being a totally "bummer blog" I've decided to share some of my favorite memories of Daisy.

Daisy was MY dog.

I was the one who insisted we take her, eventhough she was the runt and the littlest one of all. I think she knew that I fought to keep her. She loved to cuddle with me and would usually snuggle up to my neck and fall asleep immediately while making little grunting piggie noises. As she got older and bigger, this became more difficult, but I always said I would keep snuggling her no matter how big she got. When I called her I yelled, "Hey, Miss Daisy-LOOOOOOUUU!" It sort of stuck.

She had floppy ears that seemed to wave when the breeze blew. Sometimes, she would pause, stick her nose up in the air and let her ears flap away. Daisy and Jack liked to chase dust devils together. As the twisters danced around the field, Jack and Daisy would run right into the middle of it and spin around in circles. As it hopped around, so did the dogs, always trying to get right in the middle.

We burried Daisy under the big Cottonwood tree they liked to play under together. She might have only been our dog for three months, but I'm going to miss her for a long time.

1 comment:

julie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! My heart aches for you. She looks like an adorable dog and you obviously loved her a lot. I'm so sorry.