Friday, June 22, 2007

Strawberry Freezer Jam


One of my favorite parts of summertime is all the fresh fruits that are in season. Living in farm country, that abundance is magnified. EVERYONE has a big family garden with fresh fruits and vegetables. It's everywhere. I'm learning all KINDS of things about gardening and canning...it's a way of life here. I found a new skill in fruit jam-making, thanks to my good friend who taught me how to do this a couple of weeks ago.

I thought I would pass along a tasty (and VERY easy) recipe for Strawberry freezer jam. This tastes WAY better than ANYTHING you will get in the store. Sometimes, I catch myself grabbing a teaspoon right out of the jar...for a sweet treat. You can also use this jam as a syrup for ice cream.You can get jars, lids, and seals at Wal-Mart, but there are also "freezer jam containers" there too.

(NOTE: it is stored IN THE FREEZER. I will be posting recipes for regular cooked jams in the future.)

Sweet, tasty, and healthier for you family! Jill, you will be happy to know these jams do NOT contain ANY High Fructose Corn Syrup. (The sneaky, dangerous saboteur of the American diet.) Give it a try...you'll be suprised at how very easy a recipe it is. It's lots of fun, too. I feel like such a Domestic Goddess now!

So, if you're looking for a little taste of Country Living, try this super easy recipe for No Cook Strawberry Freezer Jam. You will be glad you did....and very proud of yourself when you share your jam with friends and family.


Strawberry Freezer Jam

1 qt. strawberries

4 c. sugar
1 box Sure-Jell
3/4 c. water

1.) Prepare containers and fruit: Wash and rinse with boiling water and drain. Use 1 to 2 cup glass or rigid plastic containers with tight fitting lids.

2.) Have fruit at room temperature. Wash and drain well. If using food processor, take care not to puree fruit (it should still be a little chunky). Use exact measure of prepared fruit; extra fruit can affect sets.

3.) Remove caps from berries. Thoroughly crush fruit one layer at a time. Measure 2 cups into large bowl. Measure exact amount of sugar (4 cups). Add sugar to fruit and stir thoroughly. Let stand 10 minutes.

4.) Mix 3/4 cup water and contents of Sure-Jell in small saucepan. Bring to a full boil, boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir into fruit and continue stirring for 3 minutes. (A few sugar crystals will remain.)

5.) Ladle quickly into prepared containers, filling to within 1/2 inch of tops. Wipe spills with a clean damp cloth. Cover at once.

6.) Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Store in freezer. Small amounts of unfrozen or thawed jam maybe covered and stored in refrigerator up to 3 weeks. Makes approximately 4 3/4 cups.

1 comment:

XYZinn said...

Nancy that sounds awesome. I can't wait to try it!