Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Why Me?

"Sometimes, it's good just to ponder the mysteries of life quietly,"

I said to Hayden (while we were riding in the car), thinking that the 4-year old had no idea what that meant.

Miraculously, though, he did.

And he was quiet for a few seconds.

Hayden has begun the "WHY" phase. I always looked forward to that when I observed it with other people's kids.

I thought it was cute.

It was cute until my own little peach blossom began...with avengence...leaving me with an extreme desire to pull my hair out multiple times throughout the day.

"Mommy, I'm hungry. Can I have noodles?"
"What's a noodle?"
"Why is it good?"
"Does Santa like noodles?"
"When will it be done?"
"Why do you cook it?"
"What's a stove?"
"Why is it a stove?"
"Why do you cook noodles in water?"
"What's a pot?"

"Can I have a sandwich..."

Before I can answer one, he's waiting with the next.

While driving back from the grocery store today, I heard a voice coming from the back seat. I had been hearing it asking questions ALL DAY, but after a brief moment of silence I heard it again,

"Mommy? I ask a LOT of questions."

"Yes, you do...but it's okay. That's how you learn."

(At least, that's what I keep telling myself!)



1 comment:

Dana said...

ah, yes the inquisitive mind of the young chaps. Wait till he gets to school and comes home with all knowing knowledge - almost like he knows just enough to be confused. Seth and I have been going back and forth about moose hibernating like bears for the winter. I tell him they sleep like we do during winter, but he still thinks otherwise. When he saw a moose in the yard he said, "that moose must be sick or lost, he should be in his den sleeping" UGH.