Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"A Tale of Two Kidneys"


*Despite Ben's personal opinion for me to "just keep some parts (of my life) off the blog" I am going to share another experience with the world; especially since it was a first for me. Don't worry, though, I'll spare the details......"

There are some things we really LOVE about this new culture (living out in the middle of Farm Country):
• The nightly stars and meteor showers are spectacular!
•It's peaceful and quiet
•Fresh, clean air to breathe and NO signs of pollution anywhere on the horizon
•You can run around outside in your underwear, dancing and howling in the moonlight, and nobody will EVER know. Not that I've ever done that or anything (*wink*), but you get the point.


Yet, there are OTHER things that, well, aren't so fun!
•Gossip (but that's everywhere)
•Paying $4.00 for an emergency gallon of milk at the "convenience store"
•Having to drive 35 minutes to the nearest (halfway-decent) Urgent Care

Native Air (A Life Flight Air Ambulance Service) was developed in this area because of all the isolated farm communities and Indian Reservations. Although I HAVE seen the choppers transporting people in the air, MOST of the time emergencies consist of just getting in the car and toughing it out until you get to the ER....which can seem MUCH longer than usual.

(You'll remember THIS story about Ben.)

So while sitting in my yoga pants and downloading "Ultimate Rock Ballads" onto my iPod® on Saturday morning, I suddenly felt a stabbing pain in my back. Before I knew it (about as fast as snapping your fingers), I was turning a ghostly white, shaking, and BLACKING OUT over and over! Ben picked me up off the floor and carried me to the car.

It ended up being a severe kidney infection which produced an agony-inducing kidney stone.

"Please pass the cranberry juice!"

It's funny what goes through your mind when you don't have control over your body and you're in and out of consciousness. Everything started to get really WHITE and I thought back to accounts of "near death" experiences (even though that was NOT what I was really experiencing). As we were speeding down the highway, I whispered my Blogger username and password to Ben. "If I don't make it, post it on my blog."

Ben has been making fun of me ever since, but I WAS NOT RATIONAL!
Do you hear me?!
I was delirious and hallucinating!

Now, I'm on pretty potent antibiotics, which knocks me off my feet, and a painkiller which will permanently discolor my contact lenses. (That's why I am wearing my glasses right now.)

That reminds me....
What the heck am I still doing on this computer?

B-Bye for now.

5 comments:

Dana said...

Yikes, what a scare - and in all that your mind went to blogging! We may need to organize a support group. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Annie M. said...

I have heard that kidney stones are as painful as child birth and you don't get a baby in the end! You poor thing Vera. I hope you don't have any more!!

XYZinn said...

That is hilarious about making sure your blogger friends were aware that you didn't make it! The other day I left for Seattle and I told Scott if anything happend to me that all the bills for February were paid, except the water bill. Ha ha!!

Anonymous said...

It's an illness, really.

Jill ~ you made me laugh with your "bill" anxiety. Isn't it funny, though?

Anonymous said...

Scary (glad you're ok!) but you made me laugh... I would say the same thing to someone if I were under medical duress and irrational.

lol. :)