
It's no secret that I do all the home improvement projects in our home.
Whether it's painting walls, hanging wainscotting, patching holes, or building bookshelves, if I want something done I have to just pick up my tools and do it myself. In fact, Ben bought me a pink tool belt a couple of years ago for Christmas. That same year I mistakingly bought HIM a portable compressor and a set of air tools (which actually ended up being mine).
Moving to a farm suddenly placed us in a completely different culture (sharing and enjoying those experiences was the initial inspiration for this blog). I realize that the rest of the country is becoming more and more "fuel conscious" these days. People are trading in their big SUVs and/or opting for more fuel-efficient vehicles. Suddenly "Estimated Miles Per Gallon" means more than "Towing Capacity" everywhere else.
That's not happening here.
Not because people here aren't as conscious about rising gasoline prices (far from it), but between "primative roads", rough terrain, and horse trailers, here a truck is as necessary to a Farmer or Rancher as a cell phone is to an Office-Going-Businessman in the city.
Someday I will be in the market for a truck-frame SUV . In the meantime, though I continue to "make due" with my four-door compact sedan (which by the way gets 34 miles to the gallon.) *sigh*
Last week I had to run down to the local hardware store for more lumber in order to set up another quilting frame for The Blanket Project. Carrying my 8-foot long bundle of boards, I walked out to the car and popped the trunk. I propped the lumber up against the bumper and got to work. With the back doors and truck open I scurried around the little car on a mission. Dropping down seats and moving a booster seat around I was intently focussed on my goal.
Within minutes, the long 1 x 4's were settled in the car with all the doors closed.
Voila!
It wasn't until I heard a voice from the left that I realized I had an audience. Two local Ranchers were leaning up against the back of a truck watching me. Taking a break from their own conversation, they were probably expecting a good show as they exchanged bets on whether or not I was going to make this work.
"We were WONDERIN' how you were gonna get those long boards into that tiny little car!"
Feeling mighty triumphant, I flashed my dust-covered "hippie" flip-flops and yelled back before jumping in the car,
"I've got SKILLS!"
*Photo: www.curtrich.com*
3 comments:
LOL! I can totally picture it. All the tools here are "mine" too. Funny how that works out, huh? Let me nkow when you're coming up north again - Matthew asks about playing with Hayden all the time!
I love reading about your farm life, you make me laugh all the time. It has been fun keeping in touch.
Hey Nance, Well I've come back from the dead and am ready to start bloggin again. Just thought I would start at looking at your blog for a little inspiration. You know you've got mad skills. Anyway, Hope you and your family are doing great. I'll have something new posted in a few days.
Post a Comment