
This place if FULL of cowboys!
(Remember THIS story?)
Many have migrated here (over the generations) from areas in the Southern United States, and ranches in New Mexico and Texas.
After moving here, I noticed that "Texas Sheet Cake" kept coming up in conversations; something I had never even HEARD of before, but (apparently) was everyone's favorite cake. I made the mistake of mentioning at church (while teaching a Sunday School class) that I, the girl from California, had never tasted the famous treat.
(Gasp!)
The following Sunday, I was handed three copies of the recipe...all very similar.
I was amazed at the consistency of the copies; they came from three different "family recipes" yet were almost identical in ingredients, measurements, and steps. "This must be serious!" I thought as I compared the three.
I decided to give it a try one Sunday afternoon, and ended up with a rich chocolate cake, made from scratch, that LITERALLY melted in my mouth! This is now our VERY FAVORITE homemade chocolate cake, and inspires me to stop buying those dry chocolate cake mixes from the store (only CLAIMING to be moist, they fail in comparison).
Speaking of rich, moist cake..I will soon post a copy of ANOTHER recipe I tried lately; a Southwest favorite from across the border: Tres Leches
Unbelievable!
So, I hope you will give this recipe a try....and I hope it turns out like mine did. If so....it just MIGHT change your life!
* * * * *
INGREDIENTS:
Cake:
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
2 Cups Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Cup Butter
1/3 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
2 Eggs
1/2 Cup Buttermilk OR Sour Cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Frosting:
1/4 Cup Butter
3 Tbl Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
3 Tbl Buttermilk OR Milk (but Buttermilk is creamier)
2 1/4 Cups Sifted Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp Real Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Chopped Pecans (optional)
PREPARATION:
Cake:
1.) Grease a 15 x 10 x 1-inch or jelly roll pan OR a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan; Set aside.
2.) In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; Set aside.
3.) In a medium saucepan combine 1 Cup Butter, 1/3 Cup cocoa, and 1 Cup Water.
4.) Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
5.) With and electric mixer, beat chocolate mixture into the dry mixture on Medium until thoroughly blended.
6.) Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla and beat for 1 minute (batter will be thin).
7.) Pour batter into the prepared pan.
8.) Bake @ 350-degrees (F) about 25-35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. (Do not over bake).
Frosting:
1.) In a medium saucepan combine 1/4 Cup butter, 3 Tbl cocoa powder, and 3 Tbl buttermilk.
2.) Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
3.) Add 2 1/4 Cups sifted powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla.
4.) Beat until smooth. (If desired, stir in chopped pecans.)
After Removing Cake From Oven:
Pour warm chocolate frosting over the warm cake, spreading evenly. Place cake (in pan) on a wire rack. Cool thoroughly before cutting.
Makes 24 servings.
3 comments:
Sounds good and evil. I will have to give it a try next time someone at work has a birthday. :)
what? 13 pounds down and eating this! I will have to try it.
Oooo, cannot WAIT to make this! Thanks for posting (California born and bred... haven't had Texas sheet cake either). :)
Post a Comment