
When Hayden was a baby, we lived in a second-story two bedroom apartment and I was SURE the guy downstairs was going to call Child Protective Services.
Why?
Because Hayden hated to get his hair cut.
Let me emphasize this: He HAT-ED to get his hair cut!
So when his hair would get so long and scraggly that I couldn't take it anymore, we would brace ourselves and "do the deed" as FAST as possible. In most of his baby and toddler pictures Hayden's hair is either almost bald, or as scruffy as a waif. Most of the time I procrastinated the battle of hysterical screaming, kicking, and loss of breath.
It was embarrassing.
My childless brother whitnessed this once and (having never experienced anything like this before) was "disturbed," yet laughed with relief and disbelief when (after the last snip) Hayden trotted off to the tub skipping and singing with enthusiasm for a bubble bath. No matter what I tried, nothing helped. It's pretty bad when I used to do this as a Professional! I exhausted all my "tricks" I had up my sleeve....all the things I used to do to get kids to relax or at least be distracted during their haircut. Nothing worked on MY kid, though! I waited for this phase to end......and waited.....and waited.....
Last week I was doing, yet another, haircut on a local teenager. While my back was turned Hayden reached into my "hair box" and sneeked off with my CORDLESS TRIMMERS. (FYI: In case you didn't know, trimmers cut closer than clippers.) He then started to give himself a haircut across the top of his head, followed by little circles. As I turned to realize what he was doing he exclaimed proudly, "LOOK mommy, I do a haircut! I'm a BIG boy! And I keep my eyes closed and my mouth closed!"
Although my four-year old's head suddenly resembled that of a middle-aged balding man, I jumped up and down with excitement....could we FINALLY be working through this exhausting phase?
Hallelujah!!
As I helped Hayden finish his life-changing haircut, Ben decided to follow Hayden's example, leaving me as the sole remaining member of this family currently WITH hair.
("Don't even THINK about it!")
*Note: Do you like the above picture? Does anyone need any MORE convincing of JUST how clean the air really IS down here? I'm not sure what YOUR screen looks like, but if it's close to what mine looks like....I don't think the sky could be ANY blue-er! (Well, maybe after a good rain....I did not enhance this in ANY way.)*
4 comments:
How ironic that YOU of all people would have a child who hated to get his hair cut! The sky is blue here in CO too, but I am jealous that it's warm enough to ride around with your windows down and wear short-sleeved shirts!
In my younger days I worked at a daycare and the kids who were always sick had doctors for parents and the one kid that gave us so much trouble had a child psychologist for a mom. Its like they just want to do the opposite of what parents do or are.
Spice of life.
That is funny!
(But not funny to the parents, I'm sure....more like embarrassing!)
I feel better, though...Thanks!
:-)
There is one thing you had with your pint-sized clients that you don't have with Hayden: you were a stranger.
My kids ALWAYS behave far better for the hair dressers at the salon than they do for me. And I feed them candy and let them watch videos!
I run into the same thing with swimming lessons. I can get other kids to try just about anything, but that's not always the case with my own children. (I was a swimming instructor prior to motherhood.)
Post a Comment