
(Mom pruning a grape vineyard for a church service project in Fresno, California.)
It's funny how on Mother's Day you don't think of yourself as a mom...
You think of YOUR mom.
Which is why Mom's Day has a bit of a sting for me...
Mine has been gone for 8 years.
My Brooklyn-born, Irish mom was my best friend:
My cheerleader at the ice rink,
The one who knew exactly how I felt,
Knew what to say,
and told the most amazing stories.
If you have the chance, call your mom....often.
and the next time she gives you a hug....soak it up, even if she drives you CRAZY sometimes!
My mom's favorite classical song was Claire de Lune by Claude Debussy, so that's the only song on the playlist today. Last night, I took a few minutes to remember MY mom (and her younger days of professional softball) smacking a bizillion balls at the slow-pitch batting cage.
Thanks to the teenage park attendant who seemed to jam the machine, giving us a solid 30 minutes in the cage!
But here's the question: was it really on purpose, or was it my mom? Was it a coincidence that I hit almost EVERY pitch? Is it a coincidence that our fire alarm goes off for three beeps (during the first week) every time I move into a new house and I'm feeling a little lonely (it has happened to me a number of times)?
Maybe Mom is still closer than I realize.
Happy Mom's Day to all the Moms!
...and to my "other" mom who came into my life when I married Ben. :-)

3 comments:
I wish I could have met your mom. It was such an honor for me to have been at the funeral with you. Remember when we were sitting at the table the day after her funeral at your dad's house and the lights blinked? We both looked at each other with wide eyes. I don't think she really left her baby.
Sara
This is one of Chris' favorite songs, too. It's so unique that he excites him (as a musician) yet is so calming at the same time. I bet your mom was that way, too. She must've been a very special lady; at least seeing how you turned out!
You and your Mom were incredibly close. I loved how she made me feel like she had known me forever. :) And funny! I still think of the stories you told us about her being a profiler, basically, and watching people at the mall and learning things about them just by looking. It doesn't surprise me at all that she still finds ways to tell you she's watching over you. She's not one to let a little time and space bother her, she'd find a way! What I think is awesome, is that you don't miss it- that you know when it happens. That doesn't surprise me either! ;)
Post a Comment