
Have you heard about High Fructose Corn Syrup by now?
We shouldn't live our lives being afraid of everything, but there ARE some things we should take seriously. HFCS is not good for you (effects the liver, elevates cholesterol levels, and makes us fat), yet is in SO many things at the grocery store. I've started making our own jam on a regular basis in an effort to start feeding my family less HFCS.
*Note: High Fructose Corn Syrup is not the same as Corn Syrup you buy in the bottle.
Read a quick summary about High Fructose Corn Syrup HERE.
Sometimes I think it's just better to get back to basics with nutrition:
A little REAL Sugar instead of Splenda
A little REAL Butter instead of Margarine
"Everything in MODERATION!"
Julia Child followed this food philosophy, and she lived an active 92 years.
Besides that, doesn't is just make sense?
Pancake and waffle syrup is mostly made of HFCS.
I thought I would pass along some tasty recipes for Syrup you can make and store yourself (in the fridge) at home....without High Fructose Corn Syrup!
* * *
SIMPLE MAPLE SYRUP
INGREDIENTS:
1 Cup WHITE SUGAR
1 Cup BROWN SUGAR
1 Cup boiling WATER
1/2 tsp MAPLE FLAVORED EXTRACT
1/2 tsp BUTTER FLAVORING
DIRECTIONS:
1.) In a saucepan, combine sugars and water.
2.) Cook and stir until sugars are dissolved.
3.) Remove from heat, and stir in flavorings. Serve warm.
* * *
BUTTERMILK SYRUP
(Sooo good! Use on everything from breads and ice cream to fruit!)
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 Cups WHITE SUGAR
3/4 Cup BUTTERMILK
1/2 Cup BUTTER
2 tsp real VANILLA EXTRACT
1 tsp BAKING SODA
DIRECTIONS:
1.) In a medium saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil (except vanilla extract).
2.) Allow to boil gently for at least five minutes, stirring constantly.
3.) Remove from heat and immediately stir in the vanilla.
*Can be stored for a week in the refrigerator and reheated in the microwave.
* * *
FRESH PEACH SYRUP
(Can be used as a pancake syrup, or dessert topping)
INGREDIENTS:
5 FRESH PEACHES, sliced
1/3 Cup white SUGAR
1 dash CINNAMON
1 tsp BUTTER
1 Cup WATER
DIRECTIONS:
1.) Put all ingredients in a medium saucepan
2.) Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it begins to thicken.
(Photo: www.pro.corbis.com)
8 comments:
I agree! You have always been such a good influence on me food-wise. :) Whenever I think of eating ideally, I think of your beautiful complexion and hair and the outward appearances of eating well! ;) Thanks for the recipes!!
As a New Englander I have to add: Don't forget 100% all-natural maple syrup. That's liquid gold, baby!
I couldn't agree more! And I second Kristal's suggestion about pure maple syrup. It's is divine!
I know pure maple syrup well.....in Quebec, they put it on everything including scrambled eggs and baked beans. I have to be "in the mood" for the taste sometimes, though. Healthy, though!
I can't keep it in the house or I'll end up drinking it straight out of the little glass flask! Do you think they have a support group for that? Maple Syrup Anonymous . . . ;P
WOW, WOW, AND MORE WOW.
I happened to have some buttermilk left over from making your "Texas Sheet Cake" recipe this weekend. As if that cake wasn't heavenly enough, I decided to give the buttermilk syrup recipe a try.
It's sitting in my refrigerator and as we speak I'm fighting a drug addiction-like urge not to go eat it with a spoon.
Thanks for the great recipes!!! Love your blog!
P.S. I just realized you might not know who I am..So to introduce myself, I'm Brandon's friend from growing up in Alaska. Read all about me at Thealaskagirl.com
I hate hfcs and I hate the food industry for what they've done to our food! (I have to buy a lot of organic now just to not have hfcs in our food). Do you know that we are the only country that has it added to their food? They never even added it until the 1970's!!
I hate hfcs and I hate the food industry for what they've done to our food! (I have to buy a lot of organic now just to not have hfcs in our food). Do you know that we are the only country that has it added to their food? They never even added it until the 1970's!!
Post a Comment