Thursday, June 5, 2008

Have no fear!
Call off the search parties!

I AM alive!

Truth is, I just walked in the door from a camp-out and a four-hour road trip.  My brain is still foggy and I smell like a camp fire, so excuse me while I go jump in the shower....

It was an adventure I was concerned about making (considering how punky I currently feel), but I'm SO glad I went.  In fact, we are planning another trip in a couple of weeks (minus the boy scouts this time).

On the way up (as we found our way in the middle of the night without a good map), we:
  • Made TWO wrong turns,
  • Ate tacos,
  • Worried about running out of gas,
  • Almost hit a GI-NORMOUS elk, A wild turkey, and a humongous buck (what is it about the freakishly large animals around here),
  • and told funny stories about my scary camping experiences from my youth.

Infact, after sharing with Ben all my stories about the wolverine scratching around outside my tent, running in between a momma bear and her cubs (big no-no...I wouldn't suggest it), and trees falling down in the wind, I had myself so freaked out from recalling these traumatic experiences that I couldn't get to sleep until the wee hours of the morning.

I laid in the sleeping bag listening to 1.) Ben snoring and 2.) the monsterous gusts of wind whistling through the pines and violently shaking our tent.  I kept reassuring myself that the trees would NOT fall on us that night!

They didn't...not on us anyway (across the road, yes).

When we emerged the next morning, we were stunned to find ourselves in a beautiful place that reminded me of "back home" in the California Sierra Nevadas:  The trees, the lake, the snow on the mountains, and everything else we couldn't see (in the dark) on the way in the night before.

And suddenly, I realized that I hadn't camped in 7 years (I can't believe I just said that....what a tragedy)!

Next time, we will bring Hayden so that he can "Put shmarshmallowsh in the fire" (those are his exact words).



3 comments:

Dana said...

whew, called off the mounties. Next best thing to campfires, fresh air, and smores is returning to a warm shower and the comforts of home.

Kristal said...

Sounds fun!

Diana said...

I've never been successful at camping pregnant- you go, Girl! I have camped with teeny tiny babies, too, though and they're much easier to protect from the elements when they're inside! Becca was almost 2, but still my baby, as always, and she got heat stroke from being outside all day. :( I remember packing her in the air conditioned car with tylenol because she was screaming... have you ever had a heat stroke headache? Oh! Talk about a "bad Mommy moment!" The last time we went camping (before baby Landon) we put all 3 girls in a sleeping bag sandwich! Becca would laugh and giggle to be wrapped up with her sisters! Silly bugs! :D