Saturday, November 1, 2008

"I call it....'Cascading Legos'"

Be Impressed....be VERY impressed!
I am, anyway...with myself.
While going through an old memory card, I came across these pictures and realized that I had forgotten to publish a post about this birthday cake I made for Hayden in July!
For the love!
Isn't this just the PERFECT birthday cake for a little boy?
It would be a shame NOT to tell the world!
It's pretty easy, but takes time and patience.
...and let me emphasize that again before you tackle this project yourself:
1.) Give yourself a lot of time
2.) Give yourself permission to walk away from it once in a while
3.)Remember to breathe.
(I actually started concentrating so hard that I stopped breathing.)
It was worth it, though!



SO! If you would like to make this cake, here are some pointers...
*I baked the cake mix in bread pans. I THINK I used two mixes for all the pieces...maybe. (???) I used Pillsbury Funfetti (confetti) cake mix.
*After baking, allow to cool completely. I shaved off the sides (with a bread knife) to make the legos more square.
*Wrap the pieces in foil and freeze for at LEAST a few hours.
*The round nubby pieces are JUMBO MARSHMALLOWS, cut in half. (I also trimmed the edges with kitchen shears so they had a little bit of space between.)
*I skewered the marshmallows onto toothpicks and frosted them. Then, attached them to the lego squares after they were taken from the freezer and frosted. (Freezing the cake makes it easier to frost and less crumbly. Make sure the frosting is at room temperature, though.)
*Keep the finished cake in the fridge until you're ready to bring it out.
Voila!
And there you go!






10 comments:

Kristal said...

Oh my gosh, that is the cutest cake ever! You are totally justified in being proud of it. I think I'll just have to keep this in mind for next Aug.

Anonymous said...

What a clever idea.. thanks for the info on how to make one.. I've got to try my hand for one of grandson's who's big time into Lego's.
Thanks!

. said...

Do it! Do it!

(Both of you!)

...And give me an update with how it goes. Can't wait.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Nancy! That is an amazing cake! I hope I can remember that when my nephew gets a little bit older (only 6 months old.) Well done! :)

Heather Bower said...

That cake is so cute. I'm going to have to copy it one of these times, I love cake like that. Oh by the way I love the plate it's on. Pampered Chef am I right. He, he, he...

. said...

Pampered Chef Platter?

Of course!
(The bread knife was PC too!)

Dana said...

Seth's eyes got huge when he saw this. "is that food?" he asked.

Jason White said...

Nancy, I love it. I am afraid however this may be a little too in depth and complicated for my rookie baking skills. On the flip side, I love a challenge. Thanks for the great idea.

Dreamer said...

Cute cakes!

It has been so great to keep in touch with you through our blogs. You are such a cute mom. I was thinking this morning how great it would be to come see you guys. Our family is leaving tomorrow for a trip to southern Arizona to visit Jay's dad and I thought, hey, I wonder if Nancy is close to where we'll be. I know you are down there somewhere, working hard to defend our borders. If you are not too far from where we will be I'd love to have a little visit. If you get this email today call my cell phone and we can coordinate a little, if you are even up to it!
Sara
801-564-4258

Anonymous said...

I don't know you so you must be a friend of Lon. I wish I did know you after reading on your blog. I love how you right. You have a great talent for captivating the audience with your day to day life.