Hayden told us he was going to have a baby sister before I knew I was pregnant.
In fact, before we had the ultra-sound to find out the baby's gender people were coming up to me at church and congradulating me on the impending baby girl. This was particularly strange since (because of Hayden's age) we hadn't even told him I was expecting. Hayden had been going around church and telling every one that the baby in my tummy was going to be a girl.
(Awk-ward!)
So, you can imagine that we weren't THAT surprised to find out from the ultra-sound technician in August that we WERE, in fact, going to have a baby girl.
During the third trimester, Hayden started to talk to my tummy,
"Hello, baby sister, this is your brother!"
He talked, sang, snuggled and patted my stomach.
Then he picked out pink ballerina-style shoes and Elmo dolls.
He practiced putting his teddy bear in the car seat and even changed the teddy's diaper.
Before we set-up the wood bassinett, Hayden came to me with concerns repeatedly. "Mom," he started matter-of-factly, "where is the baby sister going to sleep? She needs a bed." He was relieved to see the bassinett a few weeks later. "Mom, I'm SO glad the baby sister has a place to sleep!"
* * *
Hayden came to the hospital to meet Ella the day after she was born.
He entered the room with a glowing face and light in his eyes.
He saw her in my arms and raced to the bed.
He jumped up next to me a put his face next to hers.
She was in a deep slumber....
...until she heard his voice.
As soon as he said, "Hi Ella, I'm Hayden."
Her lids quivered and her eyes popped open.
She looked in his direction, unable to focus her tiny new eyes.
I brushed it off as just a coincidence...
....until they started doing this at home.
It is not uncommon for Ella to be asleep in my lap when Hayden comes to give her a kiss before bed. He gently touches her head and says, "Good Night, Ella."
As he leans-in to kiss her cheek, she smiles and turns her head toward him (while keeping her eyes closed).
I'm starting to think these two are going to be best friends.
6 comments:
That's wonderful... She's going to adore her big brother..
Awwwww Big brothers are the BEST!
This story brought tears to my eyes. I always wanted a big brother. :)
oh that is so sweet! Hayden is such a handsome and cute little man. i love that he loves his little sister so much. i am certain that hayden was visited by his little sister before she was born. they for sure will be best friends and you can count on him being very protective of her. so sweet!
Those pictures are so cute, I love brother and sister pictures. :)
It brought a tear to my eye as well. What a great big brother Hayden is.
Post a Comment