In our church, there is an old man I will refer to as "Brother T". Brother T is a soft-spoken man with piercing blue eyes that seem to smile at you when he talks. He's over six feet tall and about 200 years old (just guessing). He always comes to church and although I don't know much about him now, I'm sure that won't last long.
A couple of weeks ago Brother T came up to me after church. He had to chase me down as I was walking out the door, since I was oblivious of what was going on around me (or the fact that I had a 200 year-old man following me). He asked me one question with a mischeivious smirk: "What's your favorite color?"
"Uh...I like....uh....green. Ya, green. Earthy green and other earthy colors like....brown." ("Who ever says their favorite color is Brown?" I thought.)
"Okay. Green and Brown." he repeated and walked away.
"That was wierd." I thought to myself as I walked out into the sunshine.
The next Sunday I figured out why a six-foot tall, 200 year-old man asked me what my favorite color was at church. I didn't even see him walk up behind me until he was there. ("What is it with this old man sneaking up on people?") He was holding a plastic Wal-Mart bag nervously in his hands. He reached in and I caught a glimpse of what it was: A beautiful earthy-toned, hand-made, knitted blanket. My mouth dropped open and my eyes got big.
He pulled it out of the bag and asked, "Is THIS the color you like? Is it okay?"
I wouldn't even put it back in the bag that he tried to hand me. I wanted to hold it. Brother T makes a blanket for every "lady" (of any age) that moves into the ward (congregation). Since this ward is tiny and people don't move in or out very often, they really DO take the term "Ward Family" very seriously. Maybe now I can say that I have a very tall, 200 year-old, knitting grandpa.
5 comments:
Oh my goodness, I'm misting up...and i have not-a-one hormonal excuse to blame it on, so it must have been this story. What a dear man. The world could use a lot more of that sort of goodness.
Bonjour Soeur Shockley!!! Ca va bien?? C'est moi, Soeur Merrell! I found your blog through our companion-in-common, cjane, and was thrilled! I've wondered what you've been up to, so I'm glad you have a blog and I'll be able to read it and "catch up". Yeah!!
That, was a good story.
(My two comps here together, glorious blogging day!
Aw, Vera, how cute! :)
Hey baby! What's up? I am trying to catch up on all of your blog posts. It is fun to read what you guys are doing.
Hope you are well. Miss you.
Julie, if you read this...what's up girlie! I have been wondering about you and what you have been up to! I am going to check out your blog.
Post a Comment