There are unspoken battles raging all around us. Two days ago we witnessed one of these struggles...a struggle between Country Life and Modern Society...and one of them tasted victory.
Ben was driving a backhoe...clearing up some over-grown trees and grass from around our house. I'm not sure if ANYONE had ever cleaned it up, at least it didn't LOOK like it! It's nice to be on a farm because you can say to your husband, "Honey, while you're working the tractor, can you drive it over here and clear out this garbage?" Or, "Hey, can you bring that tractor over here and till up a garden for me?" (Now, THAT's a great feeling when you watch your 30' x 30' garden get tilled up in about 20 seconds.) Aaaahhh! That's nice!
Ben was driving the tractor while enjoying the sunshine and a refreshing breeze. He carried his cell phone, tenderly, in his T-shirt pocket so he could feel it ring (since he couldn't hear anything). This actually WAS the safest way to carry it, unless he hit a big bump. Just then, Ben hit a big bump. As he bounced up into the air, so did the phone, slipping out of his pocket and then ricochetting off his knee. Onto the floor of the tractor it fell. The vibration of the tractor (almost with a seemingly vengeful anger) pushed it out. The phone was helpless as it plummetted onto the ground and out of sight. The only thought Ben could recall was, "Well, as long as I didn't run over it with the tire, it will be fine."
He quickly stopped the tractor and jumped out. He walked up to the phone which was now laying face-down in the dirt. As he picked it up his hopes we dashed by the smashed-up screen, still partially glowing. I thought it sort of looked like a cartoon spiderweb. So much for missing it with the tire.
How many people can say that they actually ran over their cell phone with a tractor! Does it sound like a weak "the-dog-ate-my-homework" excuse for not wanting to talk to anyone? I can assure you, if you have tried to call him lately, that he did infact want to talk to you AND that he did, in fact, run over his cell phone with a tractor. I watched him do it.
We knew then that, at least for today, Country life reigned victorious.
2 comments:
I hate cell phones, so hooray for country life! Yes, I have a cell phone, but I do NOT feel a great compulsion to use it. My thought is, just because it rings doesn't mean it has to be/should be answered. Next time I'm gonna tell someone who asks why I didn't answer my cell when they called that it was run over by a trailer. :)
Okay, how random that I just read that and my almost 2 year old just took my cell phone outside and dropped it in her new little pool from grandma. I am hoping it will dry out and I can at least salvage all of my phone numbers.
Post a Comment