Monday, June 11, 2007

Pituitary-Part IV

After recovering from surgery, my hormones tested out to be within "acceptable range". I was also able to get pregnant with Hayden, which is another good indication of being "Tumor Free". The biopsy came back negative. The tumor was non-cancerous.

2 1/2 years later, I walked into work at the Cosmetology school and one of my co-workers ran up to me. "Nancy! Kevyn Aucoin died of a pituitary tumor....like the one you had!" I was shocked. Kevin was a well-known Hollywood make-up artist who's books she and I collected. It haunted me for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I feel like I am able to have a glimpse of what "could have happend" and it's humbling. My life was saved. That's an amazing realization to have.

I'm supposed to go back once a year to get poked with needles and take pictures of my brain, just to be safe. I'm about three years over-due, so I'm hoping to get that done within the next few months. I'll keep you posted.

There are a few lessons I've learned and a BUNCH of miracles that I was blessed with along the way. Let's review:

1.) Listen to your body. Don't let anyone brush you off if you have a feeling something isn't right. Pay attention to red flags that pop up in your mind because it doesn't HAVE to make sense. If you're worried about something, check it out until your mind is at ease (whether something ends up being wrong or not).

2.) Miracle: I didn't have a lot of the symptoms of a pituitary tumor. It was found so early that the sypmtoms hadn't really manifested themselves yet. I DID have the feeling before my MRI that it was something hormonal, but there wasn't anything yet to back it up. How did I get those feelings? Maybe someone was trying to help me from "the other side". (Just my opinion) All in all, the tumor was considered to be found "by accident".

3.) Miracle: Why did I all-of-a-sudden spill my guts out to a student that I didn't even know yet? Not sure, but she led me to Dr. M. I found out later that Dr. M. ALSO had a pituitary tumor and was treated by his personal friend, Dr. Reichman. Dr. Reichman ended up being one of the Neurosugeons who pioneered micro-surgery and helped map the brain in the 80's. (If someone has to get THAT close to my brain, I want it to be THAT guy!)

It was a scary and strange experience, and I hope I never have to do anything more than give some of my blood and take a picture of my brain. I realized that although I try to live a clean life and do what's right, stuff still happens, and that's okay. If you expect life to be fair, you're going to feel cheated...it's not worth it. Despite this occurence, I know that I am loved by more than just the people on earth. I'm also a child of God, and He is there to help us during those difficult times if we look for it. He won't necessarily take it away, but He will help us carry it. I also learned, that nomatter what, I can get through it....and so could you.

2 comments:

XYZinn said...

Okay, so what year did this happen and why did you never tell me you had surgery? I feel like such a bad friend that I wasn't there for you. Were you married at the time? I am so glad you are okay. Still to this day I think of you as one of my dearest friends.

Diana said...

Wow. This is the first time I've read this all the way through. Wow. I think the things I go through with Becca make me appreciate my health so much more. I can't imagine the feelings I would experience if it were me and there was even a minute chance that I couldn't take care of my kids. Ever since I first met you, I have been amazed at the experiences that God gives you and then I see the way you handle them and share them with the rest of us in the way that you do, and I see why He has chosen you. You have a gift for writing and sharing and teaching. I'll be first in line when your book comes out!

Love,
Diana