Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Bobbing For Ice Cubes


Jack is one of the most spoiled farm dogs in this area.....and has NO idea!

On a farm, dogs work. Their shelter is the porch, and they sleep on the ground. I'm actually going to the feed store in town this week to get vaccinations for Jack. I never thought in a million years that I would be the one giving my dogs their shots, but we live on a farm now, and that's just what you do.

Farm animals do NOT come into the house, they don't get dressed up for Halloween, and they definately don't get to have ice cubes in their water! Jack doesn't come in the house, nor does he have a costume for Halloween, but he DOES get ice cubes in his water.

Although this place will NEVER get as hot as Phoenix (and I make sure I give thanks in my prayers for that everyday) it IS, afterall, summertime. I felt sorry for Jack being outside in the 90-degree weather, wearing his fur coat, while I came in and out of the air-conditioned house. I decided to give him a treat. I came out with a glass full of fresh ice from the freezer and placed them into his water bowl.

He came over for a drink. First he touched his nose on one and it bobbed down into the water. Then he did it again, harder, and the ice cube went all the way down to the bottom before it bounced back up. He realized they were cold, so he started licking them until his tongue got chilly. He started playing: pushing them to the bottom of his bowl with his nose and sticking half his face into the water. I think this may have been the first time he realized he couldn't breathe underwater, because he kept coming up and sneezing. It was comical to watch and I laughed from my air-conditioned spot, just inside the french doors.

Now, I bring him ice cubes twice a day. He plays with them in the bowl before grabbing them one by one and chasing them around on the concrete sidewalk. Before they melt completely, he chews them up like a piece of hard candy.

Jack also likes corn-on-the-cob. Since I have thumbs and he doesn't, I hold it for him and he eats it until it's clean. Then, I throw it into his bowl and he chews on the cob like it's a bone.

Ben and I are going on a vacation this summer. I can only imagine what it will be like to instruct whoever will be feeding Jack for us while we're gone.

"All of his toys go in this pot, there's corn in the fridge, his dry food is over there.....Oh yeah! and he likes to have ice cubes in his water!"


(Oh, and by the way....our dog will not be sleeping on the ground for much longer-eventhough he DOES sleep on an old sleeping bag. We are building him a dog house next week. I have already chosen the elevation and color scheme....Spoiled dog!)

1 comment:

XYZinn said...

OH, what we will do for our dogs. Where are you going on vacation?