Monday, July 2, 2007

'Hoot' Do You Think YOU Are!

~Photo by Nancy

During World War II, the land that this farm now sits on was a military air training base. Rumor has it that there are secret tunnels and bunkers running under this farm, but nobody knows how to access them. Every once in a while we see noticeably uneven ground and wonder if that is where one of the bunkers are. If we could find the access, imagine what we would find down there. That's it.....call Geraldo!

There are also a few left-over Quonset Huts. Quonset Huts were used as housing and they can withstand ANYTHING. If there were a sudden tornado, I'm running for the Quonsets....even if they ARE over 60 years old. (By the way, I've asked....and everyone keeps reassuring me we have too many mountains for tornados.) You still see the design everywhere in farm country because they really ARE so durable, especially in extreme wind and weather.

Since my dad and uncles are all veterans of WWII, I've always been interested in that era. I decided to go exploring the Quonsets.




I pranced right up to the door and through it as though I didn't even think of the fact there could be scary things living in it. It's been vacant for a very long time. I walked in as though I owned the place and yelled back to Ben, "It's really dirty!"

Just then, there was a lound thundering noise and wind seeming to swirl around the room. I didn't know what was going on or how to react until an enormous feathered wing slapped me in the face and blew my hair into my eyes.

When I was in my college Psychology class, I remember studying the natural "Fight or Flight" instinct. Today, MY brain chose "flight" and I went screaming back out the door, holding my camera in my left hand, slapping myself on the head with my right, and sort of jumping, skipping, AND running all at the same time. As soon as I got a few feet out the door, I came back to my senses and realized, "I want a picture!" So I stopped, turned around, and ran back in.

There, I came face to face with a HUGE barn owl who is the current resident of the vacant Quonset. His big eyes seemed to look at me and say, "Couldn't you KNOCK first....you almost gave me a heart-attack!" I wanted to say "Oh yeah, well DITTO!" But I decided talking to owls would not improve the conflict OR make me feel any better.

The
Quonset Hut was like a history lesson. Very cool. The smallest doorknobs, toilets, sinks, and stove I've ever seen. After a little time passes, I may return and try to make friends with the owl. I think a mouse may be a nice peace offering/house warming gift.

What do you think?

No comments: