Thursday, October 25, 2007

"And The 'Husband Of The Year' Award Goes To...."


We have a memory foam mattress.
Translation: there are NO springs. Therefore, when you jump on it, fall on it, or throw you wife on it, it does NOT bounce!

I believe I have FINALLY gotten this point across to my hubby.

Last weekend, we were planning on going to a friend's house for an evening of game-playing and socializing. At 5pm we were still lounging lazily on our lovely couch. Ben jumped up after noticing the time. "We have to get going," he announced in a motivated tone.

Playfully I threw myself across the cushions and said, "I'm tired, carry me!"

My husband used to be a firefighter. It makes him feel good to throw me over his shoulder and run down the hall. I guess it's one of those things that makes him feel manly and strong. Being the supportive, thoughtful wife I try to be, I will willingly pretend to be lazy so that he can indulge his caveman insticts. (Isn't that nice of me?)

And so he did, what he does everytime, he hoisted me over his shoulder and headed across the house. I played along, laughing, and watching the world pass by upside-down. Entering the bedroom (don't worry, this is G-rated), he lifted me into the air, and threw me across the bed.

Triumphant, he turned to walk out of the room while I laid there, unable to take a deep breath or lift my head.

My husband, while showing his caveman-like strength and abilities, had managed to throw me down so hard (and at just the right angle) on our unforgiving bed that one of my ribs was tweaked a bit out of place, causing all the muscles between my shoulder blades (and up my neck) to seize.

We didn't know it was a rib at the time.

The next couple of days were extremely painful, but my husband was even more tender than he is already. After drawing baths, getting me food, and rubbing my shoulders he sat on the couch with me as I watched my shows of preference. At one point, after wiggling nervously next to me, he leaned over and whispered in my ear,

"I'm sorry I broke you."

Soon he had an idea: "Could it be a mis-placed rib?"

Standing me up, crossing my arms in front of my chest, he re-aligned my back. We heard two "pops" in between my shoulders, and I started noticing relief within hours. It's been a couple more days and although I still have a tender spot, I'm noticing quite an improvement (besides the fact I can take deep breaths now, too). It's always a bonus to be able to breathe.

Maybe he DID "break" me, but he has been trying really hard to make me feel a lot better.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Ahhhhh, that is so sweet! I am glad that you are not "broken" anymore. That sounds like it was really painful.

XYZinn said...

Ouch! How is that bed anyway? My matress seems to give me back problems.