Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Rattle-Me-This!


There are a few things everyone needs to understand about snakes down here.

First of all, there are TWO kinds of deadly rattle snakes:
1. The Diamondback
2. The Mohave

The Diamondback is a nasty one. They look like they have diamonds running down their back (hence the name). They have a HEMOTOXIN in their venom. That means that if you get bitten, you should "beat it" to the nearest hospital because the venom will poison your BLOOD.


If I had an opinion when it came to naming a Major Leage Baseball team, and we were trying to find a scary and intimidating name, I would NOT name the team the Diamondbacks......The Mohave is MUCH scarier!

The Mohave has a HEMOTOXIN AND a NEUROTOXIN in their venom. That means that if you get bitten you need to have a "snake bite kit" on hand. You should take it out and use it on the way to the nearest hospital. The Mohave's venom will poison your blood AND attack your nervous system (we saw the effects of this after a Mohave bit a farm cat...it was very sad). You can spot a Mohave because it looks almost green or yellowish.



Hmmmmm....
The Arizona Mohaves.
Well, it doesn't have the same poetic ring. Maybe "Diamonbacks" IS a better name.

Anyway, here is ANOTHER piece of vital snake know-how:
When you kill one of these deadly snakes (with either a shovel, a gun, or a car tire), you have to cut off the head and bury it.

I know. It sounds weird, but here's the deal:
Even after it is dead, the snake's head will keep striking.
(I didn't "get it" until I actually SAW this a few times!)

It's true.
AND it's creepy.

The snake will keep flipping around, with the mouth wide open, and continue to strike. Can you imagine seeing a snake, killing it, and then STILL getting bitten after it's dead. Now THAT would be just mean! (Plus, you don't want pets to eat the poison sac either.)

Actually, there are about 7 different kinds of deadly snakes here, but THESE two are the MOST meanest and deadly. They ALSO just happen to be the most abundant. Ironic. They are EVERYWHERE and during this warm time of the year we see them all day, every day.


* * *

DISCLAIMER: I realize PETA followers and snake-lovers might be upset with this post (and the one to follow tomorrow). Please remember that this blog is about all the experiences of leaving the suburbs for The Range. We live on a Ranch now and there is a very definate attitude toward rattlesnakes among ranchers and farmers. Plus, most sympathetic feelings discipate once one sees the effects of a rattlesnake bite. ( I was going to post a picture example of THAT, but it was just too gross.....You can look THAT one up on your own.)

Photos:

4 comments:

Kristal said...

Ugh, that gave me chills. Luckily, I have yet to see any snakes or scorpians (except yours in a jar!) in the 3 years we've been here.

With all those snakes how is it for Hayden playing outside?

Kristal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brittany said...

I looooooove your posts. This is seriously freaky...

Helen Ruth said...

I stumbled over your site and had to comment on your snakes. I found a RAT SNAKE on my front porch one morning before sunrise and it LOOKED like a rattler! Shadows can do amazing things to one's vision and imagination! Thanks for the snake post. We have to watch where we step here in Texas too!
Great blog!