Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Corn or Green Beans?


Have you ever noticed that when people taste some kind of exotic meat (like rattlesnake or aligator or grubs), they describe it by saying, "It tastes like chicken." If our diets were comprised of mostly rattlesnake, then would we describe chicken as tasting like rattlesnake? Hmmmmm....

Today, after a trip to town, Ben drove into one of the corn fields before taking me to the house.

"You've gotta see something."

This isnt' the first time I've heard this. Infact, I hear it all the time. He gets a funny look on his face and acts all giddy and excited. Then, I am left in suspense, wondering what it will be this time.

"Pins and needles, Baby....pins and needles!"

Jumping out of the car, he said, "wait here" and disappeared into the corn field. The corn really IS "as high as an elephant's eye" this time of year. Those song writers really knew what they were talking about!

A few feet into the edge of the field, I could see one of the stalks shake back and forth and although I couldn't SEE Ben, I knew where he was. And then he appeared; walking back to the car with two teeny-tiny ears of corn. I thought they looked funny with their little fluffs of corn silk hair popping out of the top of the thick leaves.

Handing me one he said, "Okay, now peel it."

I felt like I was peeling a hairy banana. Once we got most of the outer leaves off he said, "Okay, now eat it...corn silk and all!"

We chomped into the 5-inch long corn cob. It was SOOOO good. Sweet and juicy, it popped and crunched in our mouths as we chewed. Infact, we grabbed two more for the road.

"I know this taste," I pondered as we drove away. "It tastes like fresh home-grown green beans....but crunchier."

Weird.

A corn on the cob that tastes just like green beans?

I just don't know what to believe anymore.

No comments: