Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Hero In All Of Us


4 years old is a MAGICAL time when little girls want to be princesses and little boys want to be heros. Right now, we are surrounded by Spider Man undies, X-Men toothbrushes, Batman bubblebath, and Mr. Incredible dinner plates. Everytime Hayden wants to show me his "spidey webs" I smile.

We have our own private garbage dump on the farm. That's what you do when the nearest "waste management facility" is who-knows-where and you live on 4,000 acres. Yes....I said four THOUSAND. There is an enormous hole in the ground where we throw all our garbage, burn it, and then (someday) will cover it up. Hayden loves to "go to the dump".

The other day, after gutting closets and "de-cluttering" I had three bags to take to the dump, so I took Hayden with me.

I backed-up to the enormous crater and popped the trunk. Lining the bags up onto the ground, I handed an empty box to Hayden so he could contribute in the "Trash-Dumping Ceremony". I LOVE getting rid of clutter, and I do it frequently. It chokes me when it's in my house and in my way. I feel a sort of cleansing effect when I am free of it. (Can I add ORGANIZING to my list of hobbies?)

Three times, I swung a bag over my head in the air while shouting the count-down:
ONE.....TWO.....THREEEEEEEE!

Each time, Hayden watched in amazement as I hurled the bag into the pit. After finishing my dramatic display, I clapped, cheered, and yelled, "Okay Hayden, now it's your turn!"

A look of seriousness washed over his face and he marched courageously over to the rim of the cavernous abyss (while holding his box).
He stood a few feet from the edge and peered off into the horizon. He opened his mouth and took a deep breath...

(I am NOT making this up!)

Bravely and with conviction he proclaimed,

"To Infinity...and BEYOND!"

With all his super-human strength (and with a full-body twist), he hurled the empty box out into space.

Laughing, we gave each other Hi-Fives, got back in the car, and went home.

I don't think the obsession with super-heroes ever fully goes away. Why else would we have so many box office hits with Batman, Spiderman, The Hulk, X-Men, and the Fantastic Four? I think we all continue to believe in heroes and that even when things look hopeless, good will always conquer evil.


Who is YOUR hero?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girly girl! It's Soeur Angel! So I have been visiting your blog every now and then since you first sent out the link. You are an amazing writer! I love your blog and amazing pictures. I really love the newly added music. We know all about super heros in our house too! Sam ( will be 4 in less than a month) LOVES Buzz and does flips off the coutch while hollering at the top of his lungs To INFINITY and BEYOND!!! It's classic. So this really hit home with me. I laughed so hard I nearly peed my pants. Of course that could be because I have yet another baby on my bladder! Yes, this will be number 4, and yes I am crazy!!!

. said...

Soeur Angel....I love you! Thank you for making a comment. I miss you.