In the movie "You've Got Mail" Tom Hanks' character describes the effect that the fall season has on him. He says it makes him "want to buy school supplies."
The first time I heard that, I realized right away that it has the exact same effect on ME and, OH, how I would love to receive "a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils" from my sweetheart, too! (Few people would appreciate THAT bouquet, you know.)
I'm not in elementary school anymore, nor do I have children in school yet, so what did I do this year about all that Back To School excitement? What did I do to channel that energy?
A home improvement project, of course.
All summer, I spied the Pottery Barn Kids catalog, and especially coveted the Schoolhouse Bookshelf. However, I refused to pay over $300 a PIECE (once you add tax, shipping, and the over-sized delivery fees)! Especially since I wanted at least TWO. It doesn't matter what my budget is...I will ALWAYS try to find a deal.
What to do, what to do?
I sketched one, planned my pattern, took the measurements, and visited Home Depot. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the process, but I didn't realize this was going to end up as a blog entry! Bottom Line: I made two, slightly bigger than the catalog (3 1/2'W x 4'H) for under $100 total! I have a feeling I will be making two more in the future.
What do you think?
1 comment:
WOW Nancy you got skills! Such workmanship, I am impressed. By the way my wife is the same way.
Post a Comment