
You don't have to live in the country to enjoy a GOOD pot of beans!
In fact, everyone should be eating more beans. Unfortunately, most people under-estimate the health power of these little legumes. Did you know that there is new evidence to support the fact that including beans in you diet may reduce the risk of Heart Disease, Cancers, and Diabetes?
Plus, they're VERY inexpensive. When people joke about living on Ramen, they SHOULD be eating beans. SOOO good for you!
If you want to learn more, then click HERE.
I made a crock pot of beans for dinner yesterday; served with Fresh-Baked Bread and Honey Butter. Heaven! I'm trying out new crock pot bean recipes and this one was a big hit! They're a little sweet, a little tangy, and THE easiest "from scratch" dinner I have ever made! I couldn't wait to share it with you.
* * * * *
"Slow Cooker Baked Beans"
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 6 hours (after beans are soaked)
Ideal slow cooker size: 4-qt.
2 1/2 Cups DRY PINTO OR KIDNEY BEANS
2 1/2 qts water
4 Cups WATER
2 Cups PIZZA SAUCE (I used basic pasta sauce)
3 Tbsp sorghum MOLASSES (I didn't have molasses, so I used 3 Tbsp brown sugar)
2 tsp CHILI POWDER
2 tsp SALT
2 slices BACON, fried and crumbled optional (I used about 3 times this much, but you can leave it out for a vegetarian dish)
1.) Place dry beans in large pot. Cover with 2 1/1 qts water. Allow to soak for 8 hours or overnight. Drain.
OR, for a quicker method, bring beans to a boil after covering with 2 1/2 qts water. Boil, covered, for 2 minutes. Turn off heat and allow beans to stand for 1 hour, covered. Drain.
2.) Place beans and 4 cups fresh water in slow cooker.
3.) Add remaining ingredients, stirring together well.
4.) Cook on LOW 6 hours, or until beans are tender. (I have a larger crock pot, so I had to cook mine on HIGH). Note: the crispy bacon becomes soft after cooking with the beans.
the end (wasn't that super easy?)
PS: If you want to serve it with cornbread, click HERE.
5 comments:
Nancy, you have become quite the little D.G., haven't you? I am very impressed with your skills as of late! Sewing quilts, building pottery barn-esque furniture and cooking all sorts of good recipes! Good work Vera! :)
Okay, I am so going to make this tomorrow. I have a ton of dried beans. Did you only use kidney beans. I'm sure it will taste good with a few other beans as well, like butter beans. I am going to try it out! Thanks for the recipe Betty Crocker!
I used Pinto Beans, but other beans would make it exciting, I think. The recipe called for Pintos OR Kidney beans, but you could do half and half, I'm sure. Any other beans and I say "Use at your own risk" since I have no idea what kind of flavor it would produce.....maybe something splendid, who knows! Let me know what happens!
I made the bean soup last night and it really turned out great. I have a similar recipe that calls for ground meat, bacon, and onion. I can't wait for fall and winter when the full "soup" season begins.
Oh, I used kidney beans and lima (butter) beans. They were a good combination.
Post a Comment