Sunday, September 9, 2007

Who Needs A Phonebook When You Know Suzy?


I've mentioned before that this is a small town. I've referred to our little farming community as "Mayberry" on occasion. (For a reminder, click HERE.) Let me tell you again how funny this is to us city "transplants".

We have ONE mail deliverer. Her name is Suzy.

We received a post card a couple of weeks ago, from a local friend who lives in town.

We opened the front of the mailbox...
(Wait....you remember those, right? That's what everyone used before the US Postal Service started installing those neighborhood lock-and-key boxes for security. We don't have those here because nobody is going to go through your mail.)

So, we opened the front of the mailbox and found the postcard. We read the "Get Well Soon" wishes for Ben's arm to recover after his burn. "Oh, how nice," we both said. And then, Ben saw it first....

Where our address was supposed to be was a note which read: "Suzy...I don't know the Brannon's new address. Help."

Do you think Suzy had to look it up?

No.

Because we know Suzy. (Everyone does.) Suzy's son is our friend and her grandson is one of Hayden's buddies. But, that still wouldn't matter, because Suzy knows everyone in town...she KNOWS who's mail she's delivering.

Last week
we had a package delivered to us from family in Alaska. A VERY large package. We found a slip in our mailbox and when Ben went to the Post Office at 5:15pm to pick it up he found a note taped to the Post Office door:

"Ben, I have your package in the back of my truck. Come by my house anytime tonight. Suzy"

I don't think I HAVE a phonebook for this town yet.

Does anyone?

(I don't even know if one exists!)

3 comments:

julie said...

What a cute story!

You know, I tend to prefer large cities, but you make living in a small town sound pretty good.

XYZinn said...

That is actually really great. I would love to live in that kind of community one day....maybe.

. said...

Living in more urban areas DEFINATELY has it's perks, too!

However, considering the theme of this blog (what it's like to move from the big city "burbs" to a farm), I just like to point out all the cute little things that happen that make me stop and think, "Whoa...I am SO not used to that!"