Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Healing Power Of Country Living

NOTE: I did NOT take the above picture, nor is it a picture of this area.

I found a sign that I loved so much I had to buy it. It's an antique-looking wooden sign with vinyl letters that read:

"Garden...
There's magic in the dirt"


At first I just thought of it as a fun sign that fellow gardeners would appreciate, but as I thought of it I wondered: "Could there really be something to that?"

I wasn't jumping for joy
when I realized we were going to be moving to the farm. I was very comfortable having a grocery store, gas station, and Bed, Bath, and Beyond on every corner. I poured my heart and soul into our home and the thought of moving, well honestly, made me angry. We knew, however, that there was no way to persue "the farming and land thing" from a distance, so we jumped right in with both feet (digging my heels in on MY part).

I can now say, however, that I AM softening up. There are little experiences that literally take my breath away and make me stop what I'm doing to think a little. As I look forward to the opportunities that are infront of us and realize JUST HOW MUCH we are being blessed and "guided" I realize that this IS having an amazing effect on our lives. My anger is healing....but that isn't the ONLY thing being healed.

It was last week
as I was putting on lotion. Ben, realizing what I was doing, came up to me and raised both his elbows up to me so I could share my lotion with him as well. Out of habit I rubbed his elbows....and then it hit me and I froze.

"You're elbows; they're healed! Where is your Eczema?"

Ben has had horrible Eczema on his elbows since we met! Sometimes they have been so bad they have bled. After years of lotions, prescription creams, and home remedies we felt defeated. Hayden inherited "the curse" and we battled it with him for years. Now, after moving to the farm and (literally) forgetting about the Eczema, it has vanished. I spent the rest of the day checking and feeling Ben's elbows in amazement.

And then, we started to realize all the other ways our health has improved within the last six months. Hayden and I used to get sick every couple of months. We were always missing church and activities and I was starting to get a complex when friends would say we were "always getting sick" despite my clean house. I can say that NONE of us has been sick since we've been here. The pollution and congestion has been cleared out by fresh clean air and water that's been purified by nature.

We have a list of noticable health improvements: more energy, improved respiratory, calmer digestion, feelings of peace and contentment, feeling more gratitude, no more migrane headaches....I could write pages on this. We didn't even realize just how much we were dealing with until it started to go away.

Could there really be something to that?

Garden....There's Magic In The Dirt

No comments: