Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Friday Night 'Frights'


I haven't been to a small town Friday night football game since I was in high school myself.

We went to one on Friday night, and it was REALLY fun!

Well, I guess technically we went to one last week too, but didn't stay for long. Actually, nobody did.

We got everything together and drove to the high school. As we made our way to town, we noticed very low, very BLACK clouds coming from the mountains to the east, bringing with it another nasty case of lightning. The closer we got to the school, the faster the clouds seemed to move. We felt as though we were in a race to the field.

We paused after we pulled into the parking lot, the black clouds now right above us.

"Let's think about this," Ben started to say after a long moment of fearful silence in the car. "I don't think we should be sitting on metal seats, surrounded by big lights, during such a frightening storm." I agreed and we sat there for a minute to see what would happen.

For a little while we watched lightning dancing all around us and wondered why everyone was still warming-up on the field. We were suprised when we watched the teams line up for kick-off.

Aaaaaaaaaand........BOOM!

Just as the players began the game and started smashing into each other, an enormous bolt of piercing white lit up the entire sky and all the lights (on the field AND parking lot) went black. Within seconds, all the players came running off the field and into the locker room.

We sat in the car for 30 minutes, watching the electricity in the air and swaying as the powerful wind rocked our car back and forth, back and forth. Eventually, the game was canceled and we all went home.

Did you know:
Ben was the Quarterback of his high school football team and, from what I hear, was extremely good. You know what else was really good? Seeing his cool hair-do in his high school athletic photos.

I was a VERY shy and quiet, studious girl in high school and always secretly dreamed of being cool enough to date the Quarterback. Funny how that worked out.

No comments: