Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Candy Bar


Every Christmas it's something else.

In addition to the usual traditions, I get inspired to get wild and crazy with something I don't usually do.

This year it has been making Christmas candy.

I don't even know how many pans of Fudge, Almond Rocca (my mom's favorite candy), and Peppermint Bark I have made so far. As far as fudge is concerned, I'm at least up to 6 pans.

Our kitchen looks like a bomb went off. I decided to designate the Island/Bar as the candy storage area. Pans are stacked onto each other in rows all down the sides of the bar.


Now, I need to give it away before it ends up in our stomachs and on my thighs!

Last night, as I stood over the stove and mixed my bubbling pot of "brew" (carefully checking the temperature), I imagined what it would be like to start a candy store. Actually, a gourmet candy BOUTIQUE. I imagined the color scheme, the decor, and the aprons everyone would wear. I even decided on a location. Surrounded by windows, passers-by could look into our kitchen and see us making our fresh sweets and treats. Unable to resist the aromas, they would be compelled to come in for a taste.

What a dream.

Then I sampled my luscious concoction and felt a sharp pain in my tooth.

"A Cavity? I haven't had one of those in (literally) 10 years!"

(Bummer!)

On second thought, unless I buy gum by the case (to keep my mouth busy) maybe a candy store wouldn't be such a great career choice for me.

Anyway, if YOU would like to get in the holiday spirit by creating your own "Candy Bar", click on the links below (these are the recipes I used):

*Chocolate Fudge
*White Chocolate Fudge
(I just used the Chocolate recipe and added White chips instead)
*Peanut Butter Fudge
*Mint Chocolate Fudge
(I just used Andes mints instead of chocolate chips)
*Tiger Butter Candy
*Peppermint Bark
*Almond Rocca (scroll down)


1 comment:

XYZinn said...

Oh my gosh....6 pans of fudge...already!! I don't usually start baking until a little closer to Christmas. Good for you!
I love baking Christmas goodies and then giving them away. My favorite is almond roca and caramels.