Friday, September 5, 2008

A Fish Tale - Part III

"JUST FOR THE HALIBUT!"
Did you know that Halibut have both eyes on one side of their head?

When they hatch, they have an eye on each side, but as they grow they start swimming on the bottom of the ocean, "laying down" on one side. As they get bigger, the one eye on the bottom moves to the top!
(Creepy!)


My first Halibut!









Hayden's first fish!





(Ben has already done this a-hundred times!)



"Kissy, Kissy!" (I WAS going to kiss him, but he slapped me with his tail....serious.)

These Halibuts are referred to as "Chickens" because they are SO small.
I like them though, because the bigger they are, the mushier they taste!
I'll take the Chickens ANY day!


* * * * *


Recipe: POOR MAN'S LOBSTER
Ben grew up on the Homer Spit and used to make this (every summer) with his family (over a campfire on the seashore) after a long day of Halibut fishing. YOU can make it at home!


Ingredients:
*HALIBUT STEAKS cut into 1-inch cubes
*A big pot (approx. 4 QT) of SALT WATER
(either ocean water or really salty water you make yourself)
*MELTED BUTTER


Directions:
1.) Bring pot of SALTY WATER to a boil.
2.) Drop chunks of HALIBUT into boiling water.
3.) Boil for 5 minutes, or until fish chunks rise to the top (whatever happens first). *Note: if the chunks are frozen, boil for 15 minutes.
4.) Drain and serve with MELTED BUTTER.

(We think it tastes just like lobster!)

*You can also serve with lemon
* Some people like to add vinegar to the water, but we've never done that.




6 comments:

Dana said...

they are quite the ugly thing, but oh so tasty. We simply smoother them in Asiago Cheese and bake until the fish is flaky.

Did you keep the cheeks?

. said...

The CHEEK MEAT!

I kept hearing Ben's mom talking about cheek meat all day long!

Ben kept filleting them and not keeping the cheek meat. His mom kept getting all worked up about it. I finally had to say, "WHAT are you guys TALKING about?"

It was funny. No. He did NOT keep the cheek meat...but I was wondering if it tastes any different or if it's just firm meat. (???)

Dreamer said...

EEEEEWWWWWWW! Nothing worse than weird eye movement!

Kristal said...

I did know that, but your picture really brings it home...yuck!

I'm so glad we're getting to see your wonderful photography and writings again! Welcome home!

Brittany said...

girl, that was WAAAAAAY more than i ever needed to know about halibut! I don't think i'll be eatin fish for a few days. or months.

Heather Bower said...

Those are a bit scary looking. Yucky, but way fun. Those are big suckers. How way fun for your little guy or should I say guys (husband included)