Ella, enjoying her sling in the sunshine.
Okay....
I have to share this.
I'm feeling mighty domestic these days. Living on a Farm/Ranch really brings that out in you....
I decided to make a sling for Ella soon after she was born, so of course I referred to the trusty internet. Most of you know that I learn how to do EVERYTHING from the net: from making school house bookshelves and Christmas candy to stitching vintage patchwork quilts. From refinishing wood furniture to learning how to knit. Between Google and You Tube I have a testimony that you can learn how to do ANYTHING. I've even found a web page that teaches one how to play a didgeridoo like the native aborigines of Australia. Why did I find something so random? Because Ben has a didgeridoo.
I'm not kidding.
So, ANYWAY I found a pattern for the baby sling HERE. I made mine double-sided: soft polyester on the outside (with a pocket that I never use) and cuddly flannel on the inside.
These are the reasons why this is my new favorite thing:
- Ella loves it and snuggles up for hours (I sat at a restaurant with her last week for three hours)
- I can carry her and still have my hands free (multi-tasking is a snap!)
- I can feed her and vacuum at the same time....okay, I don't really do that, but I could.
- I can hold her and still cut my own steak...I DO really do that.
- I am stopped by strangers in the store all the time who want to tell me how cool my sling is (which is a real boost to the self-esteem and, in my opinion, yet another good reason to use a sling)
- I made it for under 10 bucks, which beats the silk one I was eye-balling for $80. (Okay, so this one isn't silk, but I have to admit that polyester and flannel is surprisingly snuggly.)
A friend of ours jokingly pointed out that I could use the sling to carry Ella on my back as I work in the garden, much like the moms in Africa and Asia do when they work in the fields. I personally thought it was a great idea, which sort of deflated his joke.
8 comments:
So neat.. I made one to carry my last baby in and I too think their the neatest thing.
Congrats on your weight loss.. you're looking good.
You look so cute! Congrats on the sling making - you are truly "becky homecky." :) That's my sis and I always call you perfect little homemakers. :)
How cute are YOU?! And amen to the Internet University. You are so talented :D
We all are thinking alike here!
I think you look great, I love the whole internet "education" as well, and congrats on your sling!
Wish I had something unique to add. Gotta go check out that diggaroo thing-a-ma-bob you mentioned.
I'm back! I checked out the sling instructions. I was wondering if you would show detailed pictures of your. I was having a hard time understanding it. Of course, I'm rushing this morning, but I'm sure detailed pictures would help. Oh, my son is 16 months, 25 lbs, think he'll still fit? Thanks so much.
I made a sling when Baby Cakes was born and I instantly wished I had done it with all the others. I loves it. Check out this site
Www.wearyourbaby.com
Very simple patterns, nosew, my kind of pattern. It's basically just a really long peice of fabric that will not frey. Check it out, soon you'll have 5 wraps and you won't be able to decide which to wear.
You are just about the cutes mama I've ever seen.
I LOVE your sling!! I made one and made it extra long so hubby could use it, too. We both love it when they're very tiny. I wore it to a movie once and the baby slept the whole time. :) I like how yours blends with your shirt... very chic! ;)
That is so cool. If I ever have another baby I'll have to make one. Sweet. Maybe a babyshower gift. :)
Post a Comment