
We took a family trip yesterday.....
...to Wal-Mart.
But considering you have to drive an hour to go ANYWHERE around here, we like to think of these excursions as opportunities to have a little family time.
Yesterday, though we had an extra little body tag along in the back seat. Mia is Hayden's buddy: they are in the same Kindergarten class and they play every day after school. Mia is the daughter of our farming partner and so she lives about two seconds away (literally) at the Ranch Headquarters.
I came to the realization last night that it is a little more complicated to keep TWO 5-year olds and a newborn occupied on an hour-long road trip than it is to only keep only one 5-year old and a newborn happy on an hour-long road trip. This is what I have learned from my experience: Books work. Snacks work. Songs work. Knock-knock jokes work REALLY well (but loose their charm quickly). And when all else fails, car ride dance-offs work as well.
At one point, after a pause, we heard Mia pipe up with enthusiasm.
"Guys, seriously....I just saw something pop out of the sky!"
The next voice we heard belonged to Hayden,
"Was it Jesus?"
Which warmed my heart and reassured me that Sunday School and monday Family Nights ARE, in fact, getting through that busy little brain.
After a thoughtful Easter moment, "You sexy thing" came on the radio and we decided to have a dance-off. I busted out the disco moves, Hayden started bouncing in his seat (arms waving in the air, shoulders and hips jiving in time) and Mia grooved her pistol-pointing hands back and forth between Hayden and Ella. Ella just looked around with big blue eyes a shocked look on her face, as if to say, "How did I end up in this crazy family?"
"Sorry Sweets, you're stuck with us."
4 comments:
What a sweet, groovin' boy you've got :D
The picture of his face looks like my husbands face when I tell him we're going to Walmart. :) He, he, he...
You guys are awesome! That is such a sweet story - we'll have to try that one one our next long trip with CJ - Troy we never have to tell to dance! :)
Hey there...I came across your blog a while back from Courtney's (Cjane) and really got a kick out of it. However, I didn't save the site and haven't found my way back. Luckily, we have some mutual friends and I found it again on Ashley's. I can't remember if we ever "officially" met while serving in the CMM but I heard oh so much about you. I served with Courtney (only for a week before, too, being emergency transfered home for medical testing but luckily came back 3 weeks later) and Butchy! I read your tumor stuff and wow...had no idea. I hope you don't mind me stopping by once in a while...you crack me up. BTW, I live in Idaho Falls now and the Stoddards are then temple pres here. They are so great and it's fun to see them. When did you serve and what areas?
Post a Comment