
I've developed a new talent recently and I amaze my husband EVERY TIME! (Not as much as when I juggled sixlets and gumballs in the air with my mouth on our first date. THAT was way more impressive!
I have now developed the ninja-like ability to swat flies with my bare hands. I have a dozen fly-swatters, but I can't always get to those in time. Living on a farm this time of year involves a constant battle with insects. One has to adapt for survival, which is why my family is very pleased with this newly developed gift.
I've been wondering lately, though....
Where are the BABY flies?
I've seen babies of other insect varieties:
*Baby wasps-when we broke off the nest and opened it.
*Baby spiders-as I was vacuumming them up while renovating the farm house.
*Baby crickets-those were everywhere until the exterminator started visiting.
*Baby praying mantis-sitting on the herbs in my garden. Although, there were two until after the wind storm....I think one blew away.
I have searched and searched, but I have yet to see a baby fly. The way I understand it, they only live for, like, 4 days. You would have to accomplish a lot of things in four days. This creates all kinds of questions in my mind:
Where are the nests?
Where do they hatch?
What do they look like when they hatch?
How big are they when they are "born"?
Why do they wait at the door to rush into the house, only to sit in the windows trying to escape (once they've made it in)?
When Hayden was a baby, he was TERRIFIED of flies. Now, he weilds a nasty fly swatter and goes on random "fly-hunting" trips to the french doors on occasion.
Someday, I hope to pass on my Ninja ability to posterity.
5 comments:
I believe flies start out as maggots and then transform into flies. I don't think they hatch. We probably need to watch the "are you smarter then a 5th grader" to get the full explanation.
Yes, flies start out as maggots. They don't have nests per se, they grow in things like rotting flesh and decaying poo. There are several growth stages they go through- from egg, to larva, to pupa to adult fly. The period from egg to adult is only 8-9 days. As for why they hover at the door to come in and they try to escape is beyond me though. :)
Annie
...or ask annie m. So there you go - blog learning
I have such smart friends! Annie! I'm so glad you studied FORENSIC SCIENCE! (No really, everyone....she really DID).
You girls ROCK!
Oh, Vera, you are so funny. I only know about flies because I did a research paper on how Forensic Entomology can help determine post mortem intervals- aka how bugs infesting a dead body can help tell how long a person has been dead! I know, EW!
Post a Comment